Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition Fulfilled - my 1972 911T coupe

It makes me want to finish my 72 T project! It is silver also!
    Thanks,
    Chad
    911ST Race Car w/2.5L SS race motor.
    1972 911 T- Original numbers car- restoring it
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Chassis #20; Car Number #02
    2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/ Carbon Fiber Buckets (Sold)
    Powered by Faragallah (Aase Motors)

With the carpet, interior panels and seats all in the car, I'm approaching the end of Phase 2 of the "refresh-toration" of my car. Phase 1 was to make it run, drive and function as a Porsche again. That was complete early last summer. Phase 2 is the basic cosmetics and additional functionality. At this point, everything on the car now works, works properly, and the car itself is attractive and looks "right" - not "concours" or "showroom", but just "right" in general. I still need to cover the door pockets, kneepads and door tops in fresh vinyl, and get some new leather on the steering wheel. At that point, it will be time to consider Phase 3.

Which is still a bit uncertain. I may decide to firm up the suspension some, or I may start gathering parts to refurbish and re-install the factory A/C.

Name:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2223.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  141.1 KB
    Last edited by Arne; 04-22-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Things are moving along at a reasonable pace. I have recovered all 4 door pockets and one door top rail. Will be working on the second top rail tomorrow, might get to one of the kneepads if things go well. A steering wheel leather kit is being cut by Classic 9 in Michigan, should be here sometime next week. That will obviously take some time to do right.

After that, I've decided that since the suspension is totally functional now, I'm not going to worry about firming it up at this time. Instead the next major part of the project will be to refurbish, reinstall and improve the factory A/C. To that end I have located some brackets and hardware that I was missing and they should arrive later this week. This will be a rather involved job, which will start soon.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Interior is just about complete. I will finish the second kneepad tomorrow, and that will just leave the steering wheel recovering to wrap this part up.

Things will slow down at that point, as I will begin driving and enjoying the car!! Some additional upgrades (mostly replacement of old, less great trim parts that I've reused) will happen over time, but there's no hurry there. The A/C refresh and enhancement will be the next part of the project, but since the last year's work has done a number on my budget (in a good way, really) that will proceed a lot slower than what transpired so far.

Name:  IMG_2247.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  107.9 KB
    - Arne

The steering wheel recovering mentioned above is almost done, details in this other thread: Current options? Self-install leather for 40cm wheel

Today I scored another missing piece, which works perfectly!

Name:  IMG_2278.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  70.8 KB
    - Arne

So Arne, are you under budget or over budget on this 1972 911T so far?

Quote Originally Posted by savagejayj View Post

I'm sure for fiscal year 2022, Arne is currently under budget :-)
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by savagejayj View Post
    Depends on how you measure and track the budget.

When I bought the car, I had a total number in mind to get to the finish line. I am still under that by several thousand now, and still expect to be a touch under that number even after the A/C is done. So in that respect, I'm under budget.

Of course, once these last few things (steering wheel, radio and A/C) are complete, there will be some upgrades I want to do on things (mostly exterior trim) that I reused and aren't quite as good as I want. I might be able to get the majority of those handled and keep under my number, but more likely I'll be right about there. So in this respect, I expect to be pretty much on target.

But last, I honestly did not expect to get this far, this fast. As of this month, I've about used up the amount I had budgeted this far, and more purchases are going to have to wait a bit while my expendable funds replenish. So by this measure, I'm over budget for this year by a bit.
    - Arne

I measure it as you said total number in mind, so that's fantastic news and I also think that it's utterly amazing how much you've done in so little time, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    The steering wheel recovering mentioned above is almost done, details in this other thread: Current options? Self-install leather for 40cm wheel

Today I scored another missing piece, which works perfectly!

Name:  IMG_2278.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  70.8 KB
    Now, you just need the proper face plate

Regards

Jim