Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my 1972 to a ST?

Building my 1972 to a ST?

I have picked up a numbers matching 1972 911T that was transformed to a "RS" back in the 1990s.
    I think it will make a nice base for a ST build.

I already have the wheels.

My questions thus far are:

Where can i find the correct style front and rear flares?
    What should I use for trailing arms to make up for the wider rear wheels and flares?
    Any changes in front suspension to make up for the wider front wheels?
    Should I maintain the stock '72 oil tank or should i upgrade to something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

I think the stock 72 oil tank should stay in your vehicle if you want to prepare it as ST

72"
    the car looks amazing! why do you want to modify it? Other tastes?

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Nice Defender...
    I agree

Are you trying to build a faithful period correct replica ST or something vaguely resembling an ST ? There are several threads on here where members have built STs which you would find very helpful. Suggest you look at the costs involved before you launch into this project. To do it properly it will not be cheap.
    Nice Defender.

member #1515
    That is a really nice looking RS replica, just drive it!
    Whats the engine?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    I think the stock 72 oil tank should stay in your vehicle if you want to prepare it as ST

72"
    the car looks amazing! why do you want to modify it? Other tastes?

The car is currently missing correct oil tank. So im wondering if Elephant would make something to put in place of it?

The concept is simple on this car. It is a 1972 oil flapper, so it dosnt look "correct" to be a RS.
    Given that the rear fenders are now SC flares and the MFI is missing etc, it wouldnt make sense to put it back to a stock 911T.
    It would however make a great ST car because it is a 1972 and the rear fenders have already been cut. (Not like im butchering a clean stock car).
    I also like the look of a ST.
    Last edited by tcsracing1; 12-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.

www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    Are you trying to build a faithful period correct replica ST or something vaguely resembling an ST ? There are several threads on here where members have built STs which you would find very helpful. Suggest you look at the costs involved before you launch into this project. To do it properly it will not be cheap.
    Nice Defender.
    I am looking to build something close to a ST. (Not over the top or exact copy.)
    I want to maintain the original Royal Purple color and the numbers matching engine and transmission.
    But, I would like to have ST front and rear flares with bumpers to match.

So to look the part, i want to make sure i source the best flares available.

www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Forget the ST, do this instead, or do this as well.... Then get a black turtleneck and some glacier glasses
    Actually, I have been pondering restoring the Defender to look exactly like that Spectre Defender once i retire it from work duty. I currently use my Defender as a daily driver, towing cars in the summer and snowmobile in the winter so I cannot go big tire route until I find a replacement truck. Im looking into the 2020 Defender if it proves to be good utility.

www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    That is a really nice looking RS replica, just drive it!
    Whats the engine?
    Going to drive it for the rest of year before i tear it apart.
    It is the 2.4L converted to carbs, 2.7L and custom cams.

I would most likely leave it this way for my ST build. Unless I find another project for the 2.7L pistons and cylinders. Then I would decide to go twin plug 2.5L..
    Last edited by tcsracing1; 12-18-2018 at 08:11 PM.

www.tcspeed.com

A reproduction oil tank for the 1972 is available from Carpoint in Germany. (Note there are two types of oil tank: one for running an additional front oil cooler as per 911 S or ST and one regular tank. Externally they look the same.) The tank has the correct 30mm x 1.5 threads. If you require fittings for the soft oil lines Cohline make both straight and 90° couplings.
    Last edited by Saskia; 12-18-2018 at 11:53 PM.