Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Made in West Germany" windshield

Banned

"Made in West Germany" windshield

I'm as anal retentive as most when it comes to details... until it compromises drive-ability.

I have a few of these windshields but the only car I can imagine installing one in is a car that I would literally never drive. Or if I was "staging" a survivor.

How can anyone enjoy driving their car if they're paranoid?

My rule is never to have a dog or a car you are afraid of, I drive my cars in everything but snow/salt, and my dogs are not scary, at all. If you've got a car or a dog you're afraid of, get a new one, you'll be much happier.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

The last time I priced a 'factory' windshield they were about $750 + 'special glass shipping' making it close to 1K... And that was many years ago!!!

I go through a good 'China' windshield about every 5 years or so... WAY overdue with the one in the car now....

May be I'll get it in before the New Years Day drives... But then again, if I'm behind a car with sticky tires I may as well wait till after...

cm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    $750 is almost free Chuck.

The “Made in West Germany” Siglas haven’t been made in over 30 years. I’m guessing the value at $2k+ for a used one.

I’m sure someone will come up with tear-offs for uber expensive street car windshields.

I’m sure someone will come up with tear-offs for uber expensive street car windshields.
    Well there'ya go.... A niche market, but probably a market all the same...

Like a friend that drove on his 45 year old 'good looking on the outside' tires to get those few extra points in his perfect 912... He made it half way before the DNF....

Or like the first time I saw 'tire booties' for a concours roll-out I almost fell over.... Now it would be like …. 'What'cha' laughing at'...

These cars were meant to be driven !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post

Like a friend that drove on his 45 year old 'good looking on the outside' tires to get those few extra points in his perfect 912... He made it half way before the DNF!
    Good old Fred

To clarify:
    1. This (exact) imprint on a contemporary OEM replacement windshield does not exist?
    2. And NOS windshield does not exist either?
    3. Only a used windshield with this imprint is (maybe) available?

Name:  20181227_134743-1.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  93.5 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Banned
    I don't claim to be The Eye of Providence but I have yet to see a good counterfeit. Etching windshields is possible but the candidates with no markings at all are crap quality; at least that's been my experience.

Been a long time since I've seen an NOS MIWG windshield.

Used windshields definitely exist.

To those guys who have an original windshield and still drive their car like they stole it... my hat is off to you!

Old thread on original windshields...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ferences-65-73
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Banned
    Thanks Bryce. That's a great thread.

Here's another one that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Except for the last post.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ndshield/page2