Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in 1972 oil tanks?

mad scientist

Differences in 1972 oil tanks?

I am starting to clean up the oil system on my 72 project car. I have run into a bit of a snag. This is a 72T. The oil tank does not have a provision for an oil level sender. The rear of the tank stamping is just stamped. No hole. no boss. nothing. It is also missing the lower return bung for external oil cooler.

Is there a difference between the 72T and the E/S tanks? This is the first time I have noticed this difference.

The lack of mounting location for an oil level sender also completes a mystery why the fuel gauge was not a combo oil level/fuel gauge. I thought it was a 912 gauge installed as the fuel level is on the bottom of the gauge, not the side as I am accustomed to.

I am not as concerned with the oil level sender. The challenge is that I can not complete my oil cooling system without the return inlet in the bottom of the tank.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

This is not a definitive response to your question.
    I have a 1972 T originally from South Africa and it has an oil sender and corresponding oil level gauge. If you wish to run a front oil cooler the tank is different internally and what you have is obviously not suitable. A reproduction oil tank suitable for a front cooler installation is available from Carpoint in Germany but you will need a sender. You will also need to either obtain the correct oil console with two thermostats ( hard to find) or get your existing console modified. There is a thread on here somewhere about the mod.
    Finally is your vehicle originally US supplied or possibly Italian?

mad scientist
    I Have already had the oil console modified for a thermostat and external connection. Now I am debating the best path to proceed. Will probably source a new tank and add the sender. I already have the gauge ready to go.

I've just completed an installation of a new aftermarket tank in a '72 911T that has an oil level gauge and sender.

It was a battle trying to find a good used tank.

Folks will tell you the tank they're selling needs "a little cleanup and maybe..."

I suggest you get a new one.

They aren't perfect but serviceable.

It is not easy to weld/repair a steel tank with corrosion and oil from decades.

Once you get the old tank out check carefully for corrosion in the body where road dust and dirt makes a perfect storm for corrosion between the body and tank.

I saw a post here where someone made new plastic bushing-cups with a 3D printer.
    These NLA parts could also be molded from the tank with fiberglass mat and resin.
    Remove them and cut the edges with snips just before they become rock hard.

You can go crazy trying to get the original hoses redone-

We did and the 90 degree elbow was crimped with the wrong orientation and was unusable- Another "So-Called Expert"...

A trip to the local hydraulic hose shop and we wondered why we went to all the trouble-

Name:  Rusted and unusable.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  1972 oilflap corrosion.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  99.7 KB

JPN

do you have the CoA ? and does it show the 'Luxe' pack gauges ?
    I suspect your T didnt have the oil level gauge or the oil cooler to start with,being the base model of the year.
    Also care when you buy an oil tank that you get the manual or the sporto tank as appropriate for your car

HTH
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    This is not a definitive response to your question.
    I have a 1972 T originally from South Africa and it has an oil sender and corresponding oil level gauge. If you wish to run a front oil cooler the tank is different internally and what you have is obviously not suitable. A reproduction oil tank suitable for a front cooler installation is available from Carpoint in Germany but you will need a sender. You will also need to either obtain the correct oil console with two thermostats ( hard to find) or get your existing console modified. There is a thread on here somewhere about the mod.
    Finally is your vehicle originally US supplied or possibly Italian?
    Hi Saskia,
    I have a 10/71 2,4T Targa ( german car ).
    Actually I`ll do the upgrate to the stock front cooler of the 2,4S. I have all parts inhouse.
    But now I`m a bit irritated About your "the oil tank of an "T" is other than of an front cooler "S". I wanted the tank reinstalled in the car with the front cooler. I have an oil lever gauge inside. But what is the difference?
    I have a 2,4S Coupe too ( 3/72 ) with sportomatic. This tank is different on the outside, it has one nozzle more. And this car has no external cooler, it has an external snake. I`m sure it is stock and no modification.

BR Jürgen

Quote Originally Posted by Jürgen N. View Post
    Hi Saskia,
    I have a 10/71 2,4T Targa ( german car ).
    Actually I`ll do the upgrate to the stock front cooler of the 2,4S. I have all parts inhouse.
    But now I`m a bit irritated About your "the oil tank of an "T" is other than of an front cooler "S". I wanted the tank reinstalled in the car with the front cooler. I have an oil lever gauge inside. But what is the difference?
    I have a 2,4S Coupe too ( 3/72 ) with sportomatic. This tank is different on the outside, it has one nozzle more. And this car has no external cooler, it has an external snake. I`m sure it is stock and no modification.

BR Jürgen
    Jurgen, the T oil tank and S oil tank look the same externally. It is internally that there are differences to the baffle, strainer position and oil return tube. I can not be precise as it is over two years ago that I looked to use my T tank for a front cooler installation and it was at this point I realised that a specific S tank was necessary. I purchased a Carpoint (in Germany) repro S tank. It is a good copy of an original except for the flange to accept the oil sender. The original has threaded (tapped) holes and the Carpoint has threaded studs.

mad scientist
    I just wanted to follow up on this.

It appears that there are two different tanks supplied. Most of the 72 911s (especially in the US) were delivered with the S appearance package. This included a full gauge set with oil level indicator. In order to properly display oil level in the left most gauge the oil tank had to include the sender. If the tank had the sender it also had the lower oil return. This would be considered the "S" tank.

The cars that did not have the S appearance package did not get the gauge, did not get the sender, and did not have a tank with the provisions for either the oil level sender nor the oil return fitting. This is what my car has.

To finalize this... I have purchased a used 72 tank that needs a little work. I will TIG braze some pinholes, paint and install into the car. I just can't afford a new tank right now in the middle of a full car assembly and build.

Any chance you could post pictures showing the differences? (Especially the lower return port.)
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

5 minutes ago I telefoned with the german old fox Wolfgang Reile - "Classic Power Reile" ( working on 356 and old 911 for over 50 years now ) and asked him about the differences between "T" and "S" tanks. Inside the tanks there is no difference and if you have all the fiittings outside it`s no problem using the "non front cooler tank" for a "front cooler solution". In the Porsche PET they have the same numbers also. I have my tank fresh restored and will mount it again in the car with the front cooler now ( during the actual restoration ).