Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting ready to buy tires - just need a little hand holding

getting ready to buy tires - just need a little hand holding

I know there are a lot of threads on tires. I've read them. I'm getting ready to buy. This is for a '73 with 6" Fuchs. I'm pretty stuck on getting 185/70-15. I want the vintage look and I want less grip - it's more fun to drive a slow car fast...also I'm almost never out in the rain.

I really want CN36s but my budget doesn't.

So I'm about ready to click on 5 Vredestein Sprint Classics (I need the spare also). I can get them delivered to Colorado from Vulcan for $737. This seems like a pretty good deal.

What's the downside?

Thanks for the advice.
    73 911S Targa

IMO the downside is that Vredsteins are too soft-sidewalled for a rear engine car. A friend just put a set on his '76 911S, hates them. The car lacks predictability and just doesn't feel good.

I'll be looking to do the same as you shortly on my '72 T coupe. Will probably bite the bullet and get the CN36, or possibly XWX. Probably CN36.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

This is one of those 5 different people,,,5 different answers. I have a set on my 72 S,,, as a street tire I like them, I do run higher pressures however. I have never felt the sidewalls were too soft. However I don't autocross on them ! I suppose if you drive sideways on the street you may want something stiffer. For stiffer bead and sidewall I like my Goodyears better, they are 'V' rated.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

CN36 or go 195 P6000 will save some cash.
    72S, 72T now ST

I have 12 sets of Sprint Classics on various cars and I love them. I'm sure I'm in the minority bit I actually prefer them to the CN36's for ride quality.

Thank you all for the responses!
    73 911S Targa

I had Vredesteins on my 67S before the Avons. Your 73S will throttle steer at will with them.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    I had Vredesteins on my 67S before the Avons. Your 73S will throttle steer at will with them.
    Excellent! Thanks
    73 911S Targa

Ed, what Goodyears are you referring to? I have 6s and 7s on my 71E. what sizes are you using? Going to pick my car up from my Dad in Arizona and have to replace the rocks mounted to the rims. Thanks, Jon

They are "Goodyear Eagle Sports", or they were last time I bought them, I think the name may have changed slightly, but they are 'V' rated, one of the few in 15 " sizes so rated. In fact I'll be needing to buy another set here shortly. I also have 6 and 7" rims on my 72. I get the 195 X 65 size, and look period correct for the car, and fit the fenders well. They are 400 wear rated and all weather but have a very stiff bead and feel very solid.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.