Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 2002-2005 996 right fender in black on west coast

WTB: 2002-2005 996 right fender in black on west coast

I'm looking for a right side fender for a 996. 2002 to 2005 non turbo. I need the fender to have Factory black paint in good condition with no dents and no large scratches. Small scratches are okay as long as it can be buffed out. I would prefer if this Fender was on the West Coast as I have to drive down from Portland Oregon to LA. But let me know what you have and I'll see if I can make it work. My friend's car was backed into and we'd like to replace the fender with Factory black paint. Derek

Banned
    This post is a joke, right?

Why would it be a joke?
    I've already found one but I'd like to find one closer that I could just pick up in person. With the internet today, and the fact that manufacturers only painted cars so many colors, It's relatively easy to find parts in factory paint. I figured with all the connections people on this site have, they may know of one. Or was black a rare color on the 996?

Banned
    First off; black starts fading immediately so the chances you'll find one at the exact same stage of fade and with no significant scratches/dents is Lotto type odds.

What good is a 3.5 paint meter reading when the color doesn't match?

Sorry; nothing against you or your friend but our car culture is completely off it's rocker when one feels guilty about having to re-paint a fender on arguably the worst 911 model ever built.
    However, I wish you the very best of luck now that I know you're serious.

I totally get what you're saying. And yes I know I'm looking for the needle in the haystack. But it's really more about the cost and hassle associated with the painting that we're trying to avoid. You won't find too many faded Porsches around here as most of them reside in garages, or at least around here they do. Maybe not down in those Sunny areas. This is now the 5th car I will have done with factory painted panels and you can't tell that any of them were ever hit, but yes as the cars age, the chances of finding Factory painted, undented, unfaded panels decreases. But it is after all only a 996. I've advised the IMs fix for my friend's car but he doesn't seem to think it's an issue so, in the future if anybody else is looking for really nice Factory black panels, I may know where there's a bunch of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    I totally get what you're saying. And yes I know I'm looking for the needle in the haystack. But it's really more about the cost and hassle associated with the painting that we're trying to avoid. You won't find too many faded Porsches around here as most of them reside in garages, or at least around here they do. Maybe not down in those Sunny areas. This is now the 5th car I will have done with factory painted panels and you can't tell that any of them were ever hit, but yes as the cars age, the chances of finding Factory painted, undented, unfaded panels decreases. But it is after all only a 996. I've advised the IMs fix for my friend's car but he doesn't seem to think it's an issue so, in the future if anybody else is looking for really nice Factory black panels, I may know where there's a bunch of them.
    Now THAT'S funny!

Here's the line I always give our M96 cheapskates: "Sure it may only be 10% of the engines that fail but what if you happen to be one of those poor slugs who owns the car if it does fail?" (Your buddy should talk to one of our customers who lost the bet.)
    We're doing a Boxster today; well over 200 IMS updates in the last 4 years.

It's an easy decision; Spend the $2k now and sleep well or take the $2k hit when you sell. It's a big enough issue that buyers won't pay top dollar for a car that hasn't been updated.

Another thing to bear in mind is that late model fenders all have the VIN on them. You may have factory original paint, but anyone who cares to look will be able to see that the fender was not original to that car. Kinda negates the value of this tactic to me.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Now THAT'S funny!
    I know it's crazy isn't it? One would think the discussion I had with him when I use words like "not rebuildable" and "boat anchor", would have triggered something in his mind but I guess you can't save everybody from themselves.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    I know it's crazy isn't it? One would think the discussion I had with him when I use words like "not rebuildable" and "boat anchor", would have triggered something in his mind but I guess you can't save everybody from themselves.
    If he doesn't believe you point him to Hagerty's valuation guide. THEY even deduct 15% on M96 cars that don't have a documented IMS upgrade.

Frank, I am sure you do a autopsy of the oil filter before you replace the IMS. How many cars are already on death row when you check them?