Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Scheel 330 Racing seat. Circa 67-68. 911R. TR. ST.

Original Scheel 330 Racing seat. Circa 67-68. 911R. TR. ST.

I have been putting off writing this sales advert for sometime. I was saving this for a future SWB project, but i am never going to get my big ass in this extremely rare original race seat.

Offered for sale is an original vinyl and corduroy Scheel 330 lightweight racing seat. It is believed that these early Scheel seats were the favoured choice of the Porsche racing department to be installed in the competition 911. Often seen in the factory 911 R, TR, and some 2.3 ST cars.

Please find attached some period pictures of these seats fitted in various famous factory cars.

At present this seat is in storage a few miles from my home, so i will post some pictures i have whilst i had time to write this advert. I will add more detailed pictures early next week.

Condition : The original vinyl on the seat is in very good order apart from a small tear on the upper bolster in the shoulder area. I have some early original Scheel vinyl should you require it.

All the original distinctive hand " French stitching" is complete and in good condition. Original non- eyelet insert corduroy is in good shape although the foam padding will require replacement.

Summary: An original seat that needs a sympathetic repair to a very small area of vinyl. This seat really needs to go in an original or a very fine replica SWB race car. From memory, i don't ever recall seeing another original 330 seat being offered for sale anywhere.

Slider : As pictured in the attached Scheel brochure, these seats were fitted with the GT lightweight slider with the distinctive shaped side lever.
    This seat will be sold including an original uncut Scheel GT lightweight slider with great patina. Pictures to follow next week.

Please be aware, there are many replica GT sliders floating around which are modified from other Scheel sliders. The give away is always the poor bent handle unlike the smooth casting on a proper original handle which will be supplied with this seat.

The real deal: £3,000 UK pounds + delivery.

Dave

330 racing scheel 1.jpg
    330 racing scheel 2 .jpg
    scheel brochure.jpg
    20181228_132254.jpg
    20181228_132343.jpg
    20181228_132508.jpg
    20181228_132556.jpg

Dave, which book are those photos taken from? Great seat by the way.

Best regards,

Philip
    Early 911S Registry #888

Hi Philip, these new fantastic books. Worth every penny. https://www.chaters.co.uk/prod/20564...arlo-1952-1982

Best regards

Dave

class bucket and for the price a really cheap offer! if I did not already have such seats, I would buy immediately. this seat model (mostly the 300 with some more sidebolster) was actually installed at the end of the 60s in porsche factory rally cars. About 15 years ago a friend showed me his uncle's seat. same model (300). At the time, the uncle was a porsche factory driver. Greetings and have fun then the new owner ... uwe

Thank you for endorsement on my great price.. Maybe there is a Language barrier, but these seats were first installed in the 67 SWB factory cars. The historical evidence is clear to see in dozens of original photo's that i own.

This seat is similar to the 300, but the 300 does not have the French stitched seam. I actually have two original slightly bigger 300 racing scheels in my ST build. Happy to part exchange this seat for the slightly larger 300 version that i fit in

Dave

Dave, can you please Show some of These pics? Pictures above (in cars) all Show the 300 Version (more side bolster)

best

Uwe,

do you have any historical proof / brochures that refer to the French stitched seats being called the 300.? I have a few images of Scheel brochures but none of them show reference to this. Maybe someone on the board has a brochure that will confirm the correct factory name of the high bolstered seats.?

I agree that the bolsters are higher in the above pictures, but remember those seats are probably one or two years old. My seat has been sat in for over 50 years.

It is also my understanding that the 300 racing Scheel has a continuous sewn seam along the bolsters, along with provision for a headrest to be installed. Brochure attached.

My seat along with all the French stitched images in this post have no provision for a headrest. If anyone has an official Brochure showing the French stitched high bolstered seat often refereed to as the R seat, please post it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

scheel 300 brochure.jpg

PM Sent, Dave!
    S-Reg #3160

Dave,

as a first time congratulations on the sale and the buyer just such. As for your comments: if I understand you correctly, then you think that your seat 50 years ago looked like on your racing pictures (ie increased side bolsters) and these were flat due to many years of use? I am sorry, but of course that can not be the case, the raised side bolsters are created by the gfk form. the foam is equally thin in both models. I have for you the text that is in your very top illustrated brochure (with the scheel 330) below the scheel 330 and the model 330 translated into English:

finish and processing like model 300, except for the side parts that are not pulled forwards, but run straight upwards, making them particularly suitable for vehicle types where the steering wheel is structurally mounted in such a way that the front side parts (humps) are steered could disturb.

while the 300 continued to build for many years (and then was further developed / changed), the 330 was just a short time. So you should not compare a late 300 model with your 330. your brochure pictured below is already very late ... ;-) my question about your mentioned pictures of the 330 in race cars was serious. the 300 pictures you have shown me, I would be interested in pictures with 330 in race cars. there is nothing against the fact that this seat model was installed at that time.

regards