Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1965 (or ‘66) 901/01 Case w/ matching Intermediate Shaft

FS: 1965 (or ‘66) 901/01 Case w/ matching Intermediate Shaft

Hello!
    I have for offer a 901/01 case # 903482. 3382. The case is stamped "65", however, I now understand that it may have been built for a 1966 vehicle.

Photos of case & crating.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/FpcEtHX

Asking $5,000, or best "real" offer (I’m willing to negotiate for a fair price) - plus shipping. I’ll have shipping details; weight & size after Jan 14, 2019 and update here. I’ll utilize UPS Ground w/ tracking AND insurance, unless buyer desires another method.

I will not ship outside the USA. Unfortunately I've gotten burned once before w/ a set of Webber Carbs. I'll only ship internationally with terms: "EXW - My Address – in NE Ohio, USA". ( https://en . wikipedia . org/wiki/In...e_of_delivery) ) . Meaning, buyer is responsible for all shipment logistics & payments.

PayPal or certified check, are preferred, negotiable.

Depending on feedback or responses here, I may also list this case on eBay or BaT. Please PM me w/ questions.

Additional information :

Dimensions = 25in x 19in x 19in OR
    63cm x 48cm x 48cm

Weight = 95lbs OR 44kg

Example shipping (w/o insurance) to Southern California (UPS says one of the more expensive zones in Continuous US), zip code 90210 = $168. 22

Insurance is appx $25 per $1000. Recipient would have to sign.

Also, will consider LTL Freight, probably would be similar costs. Recipient would have to sign & help off load. Otherwise off loading charge would be additional $80.

Photo of stamping showing matching sides:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/FseNMZ6

Thanks!
    Last edited by 903482; 01-14-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Additional information

Tried sending a pm but unsuccessful...

I am interested in the engine case you have for sale. Would you be able to confirm if there has been any repair work undertaken on the case.? Would you be able to provide further photogrsphs to my email address below showing the matching number on both sides of the cases.

I am located in the UK and have purchased many parts from the US in the past so not an issue for me to work.

Best regards
    Mark

Wander if the case has a 65 or 66 stamping? Looks like 66, but would expect it to be 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-911E 1969 View Post
    Wander if the case has a 65 or 66 stamping? Looks like 66, but would expect it to be 65.
    looks like 9 - 65, a date I would expect. Would like to see the date from the other case half and the mating #'s from the top of the case.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-911E 1969 View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, as davep pointed out, it's stamped w a "65" on each side.

I'm not certain what the half circle of dots means. Maybe a code for "use by date" - just humor, not serious

They're the months. So your case was cast in September of 65

The circle of dots represents the month of casting. In this case I see nine dots so nine months = Sept 1965
    Each case half can be different. Remember, this is the casting date. Then bulk shipments from the manufacturer go to a machine shop. I have no idea if there is any machining of each half separately before they are mated. Certainly there is a lot of machining done after the two are mated. Bulk shipments of mated cases then go to the engine assembly shop. Completed engines go to the main assembly line. The whole process takes 3 to 4 months according to the data have. There is also strong evidence for a last-in first-out inventory process at times.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111 View Post
    Tried sending a pm but unsuccessful...

I am interested in the engine case you have for sale. Would you be able to confirm if there has been any repair work undertaken on the case.? Would you be able to provide further photogrsphs to my email address below showing the matching number on both sides of the cases.

I am located in the UK and have purchased many parts from the US in the past so not an issue for me to work.

Best regards
    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    I had to phone a friend (I guess you'd say "ring a friend"), as I wasn't clear as to which stamps you were referring to. With his advice, we believe that this picture is what you wanted? https://imgur.com/gallery/FseNMZ6

I'll see if I can can PM you regarding shipping to UK.
    I'll also be adding what I learned from the UPS regarding shipping w/in Continuous US states to my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The circle of dots represents the month of casting. In this case I see nine dots so nine months = Sept 1965
    Each case half can be different. Remember, this is the casting date. Then bulk shipments from the manufacturer go to a machine shop. I have no idea if there is any machining of each half separately before they are mated. Certainly there is a lot of machining done after the two are mated. Bulk shipments of mated cases then go to the engine assembly shop. Completed engines go to the main assembly line. The whole process takes 3 to 4 months according to the data have. There is also strong evidence for a last-in first-out inventory process at times.
    Thanks! I vaguely remember trying to get a database of all the 901/01 case numbers (I believe from this forum) w/ associated chasis numbers. But I remember that I couldn't track this particular case #. Perhaps I could ask a Porsche museum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111 View Post

Would you be able to confirm if there has been any repair work undertaken on the case.? Would you be able to provide further photogrsphs...
    Sorry, I missed these two questions.

1) I'm not aware of any work on the case prior to when I bought it in 2003-ish. I did have Jone's Autowerks in San Antonio TX work on two things.
    A) removing black paint which was applied at some point prior to my acquisition
    B) removal of several bent cylinder studs which were very tight. They removed them, but then they added Time-Serts for all cylinder stud locations.

2) the case is currently in the box but it is not yet sealed. If you have specific photos you'd like, please let me know, I'll have to take it out and attempt to get photos. Hopefully w/o removing too much of the wood frame I built. It's cold here now and I'd like to minimize the time I'm working with this. However, I could bring it into the basement, just may take a day or so.

Cheers
    Last edited by 903482; 01-14-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling of time-serts