Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    914-4 wheel.
    The wrong 914/4 wheel

Thanks for the clarification. The price was right (i.e. free) and, being leather and slightly thicker rim (as well as 380mm. diameter), I am going to work with it for a while.
    Now for the non-initiated questions:
    - Will it *not fit* as is, if I scavenge the relevant parts from my the 400 mm that is with my car? I can see the back of the splined hub has a relief machined.
    -What prevents me from using the hub from a trashed wheel and riveting it on this one (along with a replica spacer)?

You can do that.

Or this will fit if you countersink drill and tap the 2 holes for the cancellation ring and use the cancellation ring from your 400mm wheel.

Thanks Nick,
    I need to look into these hubs more thoroughly. This is the first early car that I actually dismantle (the RS I barely touched). Makes for interesting learning.

Back from plating.
    I received the first lot back from the platers.
    Good news, their yellow, while not as vibrant as the original deep tone, is still, yellow.
    Bad news, *one* of the MFI lines from the pump to the cylinder head is obstructed. Good tips to free it?

I also bought an ultrasound cleaning machine, helps a lot, dunk in and forget.

Put it in your cleaner if it will fit and try that. You can stick a wire through there but it won't go around corners. I have spent a ton of time restoring those lines then to find out Stoddard sells new set for under 200 dollars as I remember.

Years ago I used Coke to clear heat treating residue from a crank oil passage,,,think acidic ! If you take it back to the plater that is probably what they would do,,,,,or just ask them!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

if non of above mentined works ...heat is your friend...try with a hot air gun first(will save your plating)...if this does not work use a bunsen burner or gas welder...did that with sunroof cable guides....hmm not quite sure how sensitive the metal reacts to this treatment...metalurgists chime in

Got the line freed, using a bicycle derailer cable on a drill. Worked a treat. Purged it with WD40 and compressed air, and it is perfect again.
    Small parts asssembled from the plating pile.