Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

George, here is David's pic of the black swaybar link on the 700 mile '70S
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you both. Black it is.
    Matterhorn is always a nice view, and makes for a good day trip for us.

My front lights are US spec, which is a no-no for my place. The lenses I gave forward, and got euro ones, the ones that cost about 70$, not originals for ungodly prices. Can't tell the difference from 6 ft...
    The main issue is bulb placement. The US lights have a running light in the orange rearmost compartment, the euro ones have a bulb behind the clear part of the lens in the foremost compartment, that does not exist in my US lights. Thanks to John Audette for a great resume of the differences on his website.
    So I had to be creative with aluminum sheet, one of the bulb holders from the US side markers and another, smaller bulb holder from the electric parts stash.

It works, those light assemblies have become very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    My front lights are US spec, which is a no-no for my place. The lenses I gave forward, and got euro ones, the ones that cost about 70$, not originals for ungodly prices. Can't tell the difference from 6 ft...
    The main issue is bulb placement. The US lights have a running light in the orange rearmost compartment, the euro ones have a bulb behind the clear part of the lens in the foremost compartment, that does not exist in my US lights. Thanks to John Audette for a great resume of the differences on his website.
    So I had to be creative with aluminum sheet, one of the bulb holders from the US side markers and another, smaller bulb holder from the electric parts stash.
    To convert the US spec front turn signals to Euro spec, does the existing wiring harness attached to the back of the housing require any modification?

Blue, the euro white marker light is wired as is the orange one in the US one. There is a wire running in the light behind the orange lens. See john Audette's page for a good description.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    US housing uses a dual filament bulb so double copper connection plate while ROW has only one (single filament) but US wiring would work, not vice versa.

Cees

OK thanks.

Does the US orange marking light (in the rearmost compartment) function in the exactly the same way as the Euro white light (in the foremost compartment)? I think the Euro white light has two functions- driving light (both on) and parking light (just one side on).
    Last edited by blue72s; 08-17-2020 at 08:41 AM.

I can't tell from my side. I am more a hands-on person, which means I'll know when I am putting it together again. I am not worried, should be easy enough.

Got my paws on a small lathe, a Schäublin 102. I had been eyeing one for a while and bought one recently. Which will be of use, right away.

The window winders are... past their best, with one missing pivot.

It so happens that I am also slapping together a roached VW beetle, as an introduction to welding (rust...) and general wrenching for my son. That beetle needs all new balljoints up front, and I kept the old ones, that are made of rather solid steel: