Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

Confinement has advantages.
    Clutch, throttle, handbrake, speedometer and heater cables cleaned. I had to repair the broken end of one handbrake cable by welding a bolt on end, and drilling it for the safety clip.
    I have the contact piece for the clutch fork, but can't find the bolt. M7 is correct? it is between M6 and 8 and has a 1mm pitch.

I took apart and cleaned the front calipers. no mangled threads, no broken bolts. This raised a few questions:
    Restorable? the pistons are gone, but the caliper bodies?
    Date codes correct for a '69? one seems to fit, the other I can't decode.

Those caliper bores look rather corroded. In the states most send the caliper to PBM performance for rebuild. You could send them the pics and ask for a quote to restore them.
    They also supply the new pistons.

Thank you both. I will try and contact John Lobmann and send him pictures.

Any thoughts about the clutch cable thread size?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Thank you both. I will try and contact John Lobmann and send him pictures.

Any thoughts about the clutch cable thread size?
    Might be easiest to drill it out and use 8mm.... if I'm understanding the question. If it's the adjusting bolt for clutch take-up that you are referring to, later cars are 8mm. (Edit - misunderstood the question. I checked the PET and learned a lot about 901 clutch releases.)

Caliper bores look fine. As long as the piston moves freely. The only part of the caliper that does any sealing is the groove where the seal sits. The more important area is the piston, particularly the area where the seal rides on it and does its job.

yes, cable uses a 7 mm nut.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Steering wheel work.
    I have found the correct rivets to reassemble the wheel with a 30mm spacer, and started with cleaning/restitching it. A very good confinement occupation.

You have the patience for that job.

Stitching's done. Wheel is now in the sun, covered in leather conditioner.

Very nice work George!
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074