Thread: Cold Start/Auxiliary Enrichment Circuit & Support Stand Questions

Cold Start/Auxiliary Enrichment Circuit & Support Stand Questions

I am presently rebuilding Zenith 40TIN carburettors on a stock 1970 2.2L engine. I’ve researched most posts (here & on Pelican) regarding the cold start - auxiliary enrichment circuit.
    I find there to be about a 50/50 split on opinions as to installation or deletetion of the circuit & to blank off any attendant points of connection if deletion is the way to go.
    This split of opinion reminds me of the pros & cons of the ongoing ‘coffee debate’ & at the end of it all in that case, it comes down to personal choice.
    I am not so sure personal choice is the right or viable solution to be applied here.

If climate figures into or has any bearing on the eventual decision, this car will principally be a ‘fair weather’ driver in the Vancouver, BC & Pacific Northwest areas.
    I am considering bumping up the idle jets to .55 as many have suggested to combat the purported adverse side effects of ethanol blended fuel.

On a different matter, this engine (mag-cased) has been stored/mounted as per the photo for a very long time (7+ yrs. - finally getting time to proceed on the project)
    It should be noted; plenty of Gibbs, fogging oil & a plastic 'cocoon' when not being worked on.

I’ve heard from a couple of guys I may be putting too much strain on the crankcase storing it this way - a time limit consideration.
    Name:  100_3020.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  149.8 KB

I have placed some additional support of the engine just to the rear of the crankshaft pulley to relieve any perceived excess strain on the engine to transmission interface.
    Will this suffice or am I already in deep trouble? Hopefully not!

I would very much appreciate any ‘updated’ opinions on these two questions.

Thanks in advance & Cheers
    JB
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 01-27-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

You don't need the "fire starter" cold start enrichment circuit. There is a reason Porsche advised disconnecting them. Just pump the throttle pedal, make sure the acell pumps are squirting correctly, both in volume and direction.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. Now I just have to get over my "engine stand angst"

Cheers
    JB
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

Ed -

What if one has the MFI engine? No accell pumps! Keep the cold start circuit?

- Rob

Basically yes,,,but what year car, there are different systems, some with air cleaner spray,,,some with stack spray.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.