Thread: Color differences in engine bay decals on 1973?

Color differences in engine bay decals on 1973?

Hi all,
    I need community knowledge because I'm restoring engine decals.
    Porsche provided decals are really different from originals because fonts doesn't match to the original 1973 characters, now they basically print 'em with a "modern" font and above-all the finish is *really* different (original finish was gold mirror) while new decals are gold sanded/brushed finish.

I need your expertise because looking at my 1973 original decals some of them looks more gold (alternator and regulator must be from same manufacturer decal) and some of them looks more yellow (firing order and valve clearance decals).

Can anyone please tell if this is just a randomness on my car or if they were *intentionally* printed with different yellow or gold tones ?

Thank you in advance

I think random. No intent just stick them on the car and get it out the door. My 73's original stickers have a gloss finish and some variation in the color. Not at all like the new ones.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve, can you please tell which are different from others ?

I suspect they were intentionally printed on different shades of yellow sheets, because "tire pressure" and "oil level" decals are less important then "valve clearance" or "timing" decals so they were gold and not yellow.

OK here you go. Firing order, oil level, alternator all gold gloss. Valve clearance, tire pressure slightly lighter gold gloss. Timing is gold gloss same as others. My car is Italian from Varese through Delcar SAS so the timing sticker is the ROW one including 911TV. I do not know about US timing sticker color/finish. Hope this helps. Oh, and no part numbers so I believe them to be original and I've had the car for a long time.
    Last edited by steve shea; 01-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve, also mine is an Italian car ! :-)
    I'm italian too ...
    Thank you for your reference, i really needed a reference before printing my decals !

Probably difference in colours is just related to different sheets production process and not really intentional like I tought!!

Quote Originally Posted by fizeus View Post
    Steve, also mine is an Italian car ! :-)
    I'm italian too ...
    Thank you for your reference, i really needed a reference before printing my decals !

Probably difference in colours is just related to different sheets production process and not really intentional like I tought!!
    Did you source the correct material?

Finally Yes!!!

It's very expensive (who cares?) but it's the correct color with right finish and also with the right thickness (0,3 mm)!!

If I can help just ask ... i 'm still retouching the decal vectors and i plan to send 'em for print in the next days!

I'll post results as soon reproduced decals are in my hands !

Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by fizeus View Post
    Finally Yes!!!

It's very expensive (who cares?) but it's the correct color with right finish and also with the right thickness (0,3 mm)!!

If I can help just ask ... i 'm still retouching the decal vectors and i plan to send 'em for print in the next days!

I'll post results as soon reproduced decals are in my hands !

would be interested to see the results...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616