Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter cover engine grill cover ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Winter cover engine grill cover ?

Dear all,
    am a bit frustrated not driving my 911L while it is cold outside (sounds like a song to me). Reason is caused by the icing carbs. (I did a post on the symptom and had some wonderful system to "heat" the manifold - a bit complex to make/install as of now)

I do believe you guys drive their carbs 911 in (cold) winter - how do you handle that bloody icing carb issue ? I think of making a steel plate with few holes to cover the engine grill to refrain cold air to get into the engine bay, keeping the warm air in and get the carbs "warm".

Views ?
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

That isn't the cause, its the cold moist air being drawn into the engine air intake.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    I'm far from an expert in this but why wouldn't Xavier's idea work Ed? If he's pre-heating the intake air doesn't that considerably cut down the cold moist air?

Ideally you need heat risers warming the intake manifolds.

Sorry to rub it in but I had to share the miserable weather we have to put up with today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’m not sure about long wheelbase, but the short wheelbase 911s have a Hose that directs warm air to the air cleaner snorkel whenever the heater valve is open
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

The warm air to the air cleaner as I mentioned previously and John just mentioned in the above post is your best solution. Blocking the grill MIGHT help, worth a try, but I'm not confident of it.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Enjoy it while you can Frank, summer's coming!

DRY SUMMER (MAY 1 - JUNE 30)
    The first of the desert’s two distinct summer seasons brings an abundance of daytime sunshine, balmy evenings, very low humidity and little to no precipitation.
    Average High/Low: 99°F (37°C)/ 68°F (20°C)
    Normal Rainfall: Less than .25”

Thermometer 4Sun-Rain

WET SUMMER (JULY 1 - SEPTEMBER 15)
    The desert’s wet summer contrasts high daytime temperatures and mild to moderate humidity with a chance of cooling afternoon thunderstorms drawn up from the Gulf of Mexico by monsoon winds.
    Average High/Low: 103°F (39°C) / 78°F (26°C)
    Normal Rainfall: 2.25”
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

All right then, I 'll check if I got that air hose (doubt it) - has anyone got a pic to share ? (but Ed :-)

Frank, finally Scottsdale seems to be a lovely place.

And I guess if no one has ever made that winter engine grill I mention, there should be a valid reason behind.

Thanks for the comments/feedback, very much.
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 01-31-2019 at 03:20 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

When someone posts a photo you realize how brilliant Porsche was at designing these cars. 356 and 912 used a similar system but the hot air was directed at the base of the carburetors to prevent icing
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    When someone posts a photo you realize how brilliant Porsche was at designing these cars. 356 and 912 used a similar system but the hot air was directed at the base of the carburetors to prevent icing
    Ed posted one on another thread, 356 system I believe. Wonder if the 911 one is the same.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I don't have a picture at hand, but look on the right side frame piece about under the oil filter and you'll see a stub poking up about an inch. From that a hose would run to the air cleaner snorkle. When you close off the heater valve that frame channel is slightly pressurized with hot air which goes forward into the cabin, and then also to the air cleaner.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.