Thread: Early Washer pump repair

Early Washer pump repair

Super stoked I found a broken early washer pump at the Phoenix Club swap meet last weekend. The guy I purchased it from said it didn't work and it had a broken nipple, but I didn't care, I have been searching for one for a LONGGGGGG time. All the nuts/screws had rust and there was a lot of corrosion inside where the gears were located. I cleaned and lubed the gears, took the hardware and metal plate to the wire wheel and cleaned them all up. With the cover off I put some power to the motor to see if the gears would move, and WALLAH the gears turned. I slapped some RTV on the old seal and screwed everything down. After it cured, I hooked up a hose to one end and put power on it and it started to pump water

I knew I had a '68 broken washer pump in storage that I could use to repair this one. So I cut the nipple off that I needed with some PVC cutters and glued the nipple into place by using a nail punch inside to keep it from moving around. The adhesive I used is applied by a liquid and hardened by a UV light within a few seconds. It allows me to add layers and even sand it down.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to integrate into my washer system. Fingers X it works..
    Name:  20190306_163014.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  75.0 KB
    Name:  20190306_163021.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  153.8 KB
    Name:  20190306_165334.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  107.6 KB
    Name:  20190306_184425.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  20190306_165243.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  113.3 KB

Uber cool!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

my experience is that gluing (50 year old )plastic does not last very long.
    i also hope for you that the drive shaft seal on this pump stil does what it is supposed to do...
    let us know

it works!!! but there is a little seepage from the base plate where I put the RTV but I can live with that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/But_7UZlpYN/
    Name:  20190307_142157.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  206.0 KB
    Last edited by pemz0r; 03-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pemz0r View Post
    it works!!! but there is a little seepage from the base plate where I put the RTV but I can live with that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/But_7UZlpYN/
    it possibly is also leaking when the pump is not operating...i.e. refill reservoir every 2nd day

Funny, was working on mine earlier this week. Also had to glue a broken nipple
    Attached Images Attached Images