Thread: Sports Purpose Suspension Set Up

Sports Purpose Suspension Set Up

I would appreciate some advice on the optimal suspension set up for fast road and occasional track (say 80/20 split).

My car is a 1966 911.

It has had a life, was rallied.

Measuring the current torsion bars they are 19mm front and a fairly chunky 28mm rear....I think the dampers are Koni but they all need replacing.

I was thinking 21mm front and 26mm rear?

Any recommendations re dampers? Koni? Bilstein? What would work best with the 21/26 torsion bar set up (I have seen that recommended in a few sources).

Bushes? Best to go with OEM Porsche rubber? Elephant racing? The ones on it are hard plastic of some sort and had locked on the A arms....not good.

Any help appreciated - not that experienced with this stuff.

Thanks

Jonathan
    1966 911

Others have a lot more experience than me but don't think you need 21 in front. The car is pretty light up front. Keep the 19 and reduce the rears to 26. Get some good adjustable dampers.
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Most will likely disagree, but IMO a suspension set-up for "fast road and occasional track (say 80/20 split)" should strongly favor the road over occasional track use. A track set-up will be uncomfortable on the road. Occasionally tracking a non-race-car doesn't warrant a special set-up, especially if you believe the old Porsche marketing that "all Porsches are race-cars".

That was my favorite thing about my old 911, you could button it up to work well in corners without sacrificing ride quality much, if at all. I went through a lot of iterations on my 67S and ended on 19 bars up front combined with a 22MM swaybar, and 26 bars in back with the stock 16 (I think??) swaybar. All this with Koni Reds adjusted about mid way front and 1 click off full in back. ..and factory style rubber bushings on everything.

Great neutral car that worked fantastic at autox and rode like stock on the street.

21mm front and 27mm rear torsion bars.

Koni shocks.

Porsche early 18mm sway bars.

OEM or Elephant Racing soft rubber bushings.

My 2 cents...
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    21mm front and 27mm rear torsion bars.

Koni shocks.

Porsche early 18mm sway bars.

OEM or Elephant Racing soft rubber bushings.

My 2 cents...

That’s my set up as well. +1
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Thumbs up

VERY close to my first set-up... It worked great for years !!!! …….

Who knows, I may go back to it eventually....

BIG +1
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    Most will likely disagree, but IMO a suspension set-up for "fast road and occasional track (say 80/20 split)" should strongly favor the road over occasional track use. A track set-up will be uncomfortable on the road. Occasionally tracking a non-race-car doesn't warrant a special set-up, especially if you believe the old Porsche marketing that "all Porsches are race-cars".
    Best advice I have heard in a loooooooong time!

Jim

I have a swb front suspension set up by Dave Coleman, it has shortened Koni struts, solid bushings and the ball joint holes are repositioned to change the caster angle. I havent used it yet but my friend liked it as much or better than the Fox lwb setup he replaced it with.
    Last edited by 66S; 03-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.