Thread: Dashboard for 1969 911S

Dashboard for 1969 911S

Looking at repainting my car and finally replacing the 50 year old dashboard vinyl top along with the body gaskets. Where are people getting the dashboard these days? Thanks for the help.

Dashboard for 1969 911S

Bad time to be asking, I'm afraid.

First of all, you won't find a '69 dashboard. Period. Good news is that the 70-75 dashboard is very close.

Bad news is that they're aren't really any good options right now. NOS has been offered here but it's a $10k part. Uncracked used is hen's teeth and the last one that I saw sold here was $5k (and I bought it). Porsche Classic dash has the incorrect speaker grille and substituting a vintage grille results in a non-matching clusterf**k. And the best previous option, the European reproduction dash we'd all been relying on, is now being made in a terrible incorrect vinyl grain.

I've heard rumors that the incorrect Euro repro dash may be available again in a few months with a better grain but I'll believe it when I see it. Lots of promises made over the years and maybe 50/50 kept. In the meantime, it's a waiting game.

Advised that dashboards are unobtainable. Can they re upholster/ re vinyl existing dashboards, is that a thing?

Yes, and they look pretty good. There's a seam at the top of the dash where the upper section meets the front section and cowl but overall they look pretty good.

Thanks. We have a local guy who upholsters a lot of boats, I’ll ask around there and see what can be done. If anyone has recommendations for people who do this work in No. Cal/ No. Nevada I’m open to suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Bad time to be asking, I'm afraid.

First of all, you won't find a '69 dashboard. Period. Good news is that the 70-75 dashboard is very close.

Bad news is that they're aren't really any good options right now. NOS has been offered here but it's a $10k part. Uncracked used is hen's teeth and the last one that I saw sold here was $5k (and I bought it). Porsche Classic dash has the incorrect speaker grille and substituting a vintage grille results in a non-matching clusterf**k. And the best previous option, the European reproduction dash we'd all been relying on, is now being made in a terrible incorrect vinyl grain.

I've heard rumors that the incorrect Euro repro dash may be available again in a few months with a better grain but I'll believe it when I see it. Lots of promises made over the years and maybe 50/50 kept. In the meantime, it's a waiting game.
    John

When you say 70-75 are very close, who will be supplying?
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

How did I miss this?

Have an uncracked straight 69 dash, but........
    no overseas shipping for dashes any longer. Only trouble. So arrange pickup by a friend,... or shipping within Germany only.