Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repaint question.

Repaint question.

Looking at doing re paint job on my ‘69- Bahama Yellow. Porsche shop uses PPG these days instead of Glasureit (SP.) They swear by it and the quality and can match the color. Is this a frowned on practice?
    Old boss did his ‘37 Horch in PPG and won best of show at Pebble Beach. (He’s passed on and I haven’t been there for 5 years- no more NDA issue.)
    Thanks for advise.

Interesting question. I’m also getting ready to repaint my ‘69 911S...the first repaint from 1990 is failing badly. So I contacted Automobile Associates in Canton, CT (a highly respected Porsche restoration shop) and asked them about a single-stage Polo Red Glassurit respray. They told me they don’t use Glassurit anymore since they’ve had “some issues” with it. They are now a PPG shop and they promised me I’ll be very happy with the results. My car goes to them in April.

Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

I think shops use what shops use. For what it's worth, I've seen some really nice PPG paint jobs on our cars. That said, we shoot all of my Porsches in Glasurit and wouldn't do it any other way.

I was going to supply the glaurit materials needed to paint my car, the shop owner said they use ppg and thier painter's idiosycrasies work well with it. Going with the advise.
    S Registry#2021

This is what I know…

I did my 911 almost 30 years ago with the complete Glasso system 54… Primer/sealer/color coat/clear coat/hardener/and reducer all Glasso system 54…… Almost all of that paint is still on the car today. I would say the longevity of the finish has been pretty outstanding considering what I put my car through……… My only complaint is the finish being a bit brittle… a bit chip prone…. Oh well, I seem to put myself in the position to receive chips…

In 2008 I finally had the body and paint done on my Butternut Yellow ’67 Malibu. After a lot of back and forth we agreed to paint the car with high quality single stage paint. My painter picked the PPG Concept system. This turned out to be by far one of the best looking paint jobs for a 60’s car I’ve ever seen… It looked ‘factory’ from the minute it was done, to now, 11 years later… Shinny but not TOO shinny !!!!!

Most painters will want to paint your single stage solid color old car with two stage paint… because the a clear coat is so easy to work, and looks so shinny to the novice customer…

Highend PPG products are great as long as they can color match perfectly and use single stage on your old single stage car…

My .02
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for the replies. Does the PPG guns shoot Glasurit or does it clog the Nozzles or anything weird? Up until a month ago I didn’t know Glasurit was still in business. Is it considered a hazmat to spray or something? Nobody can speak on the brand. I ask because in the airplane biz they want to spray IMRON which you can’t spray in Ca.
    California only allows for water based paint which sucks. We have a plane that was painted a year ago in Ca. For cheap and it’s already crazing on the nacelles. They fly the plane to Florida to do it in IMRON now.
    My paint is fading on the roof and chipping off on the front, like a 2” section just came off, old I guess and gets brittle over the years.
    My buddy has a’61 XKE that spider webs every 15 years or so due to expansion and contraction, British paint I guess.
    But Glasurit is still around, but again nobody can speak on it. https://youtu.be/y_k2nUYxsss

Chuck, tha Malibu is painted in Glasurit as well? That looks nice!

We don’t have water based paint in Santa Cruz or humbolt or Monterey county.
    We can buy Glasurit in Seaside, near Monterey.

I use DuPont. As my paint suppliers are easy to work with, hassle free, with unending advice.
    I spray with a Sata jet 90 gun, from Germany,
    Last edited by Scott A; 03-12-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Awesome Scott. The water based company is further south in Santa Maria. I was going off what they told me when I dropped a plane off.

Lightbulb

Chuck, tha Malibu is painted in Glasurit as well?
    Hmmmmm ??? Thought I made that clear showing the pint of PPG Concept Butternut Yellow touch up pain on the Chevy's fender...

Maybe not.... YES, the Malibu was done in PPG Concept single stage...

That looks nice!
    Thank you...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter