Thread: Buying/using a 911 in Germany

Buying/using a 911 in Germany

I’m looking at a SWB in Germany and thought perhaps I could keep it there for a lengthy time period to use before importing it into the US.

I think John did something like this for his Italian honeymoon.

Anyone know the process? I can provide either a garage or a Friend’s address if needed.

Export plates good for just a year or longer?

VAT? Refunded?

Thought it would be nice to explore the alps etc while its there.

I purchased my 911 in Munich. I was living in Poland at the time and the red export plates were only valid for 30 days. I have no idea if there are other options, but I had to renew mine in Poland on temporary plates before I could get it registered properly (Polish admin / bureaucracy does not move quickly).
    Paul

I highly recommend this idea. So much so that I'm thinking of doing it all over again.

In my case, I accomplished our trip with the help of a fellow enthusiast in Italy who sold me his car and agreed to keep it registered and insured for several weeks while we drove the car.

In my research, I was also told that buying a car in Germany might be an option as German dealers can provide some type of sticker or permit that allows use of the car in the EU for some period of time. I was also told that there are certain countries in the EU who may allow a foreigner to register a car in their country for personal use. Either way, If I was you I'd start by talking to dealers who, obviously, would have an incentive to assist you if they could sell you a car. I'll also take a look through my notes from the time and see if I can find anything else that might be helpful.

Hi,

maybe you might want to think of contacting someone like Klassik Garage Kronberg http://klassikgarage.com/en/storage/
    located next to Frankfurt am Main and about 20-30 minutes from the airport. So very central in Germany with lots of flight connections, close to the Nürburgring and approx. 3-4 hours drive until you reach the Alps. They offer storage and they have a workshop so the car is always in good mechanical condition when you come over to drive it. They would certainly assist you also in your search for a suitable car if you wish. I know them myself as I am a client of their workshop.

Cheers Oliver
    1970 911 2.2 S Coupé Bahia Red - Early 911S Registry #3174

Good idea!

I think the easiest way is to register the car in Germany on a so-called "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" (export plate). It is valid from 9 days up to 1 year (on special request). The documents you need to provide are:
    - car title (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 2 + Teil 1)
    - license plates if car is still registered
    - proof of purchase (sales contract)
    - passport
    - proof of liability insurance (+ "green" international insurance card) for the duration of the registration
    - valid TÜV inspection (no emissions since your SWB was probably first registered before July 1st, 1969) for the duration of the registration.
    - paid car tax (KFZ-Steuer)-> can be tricky without an European (SEPA) bank account. You might have to personally show up at the respective customs office and pay cash.

In some cases you will need to show the car at the registrations department.

A refund of VAT is depending on the terms of sale. On sales of vintage cars there's usually no VAT (exceptions may apply). No paid VAT-> no refund of course. Anyway, VAT would be refunded only when the car is actually leaving the EU, not Germany!

Hi as I don't know the regulations in th countries surrounding germany but I think it might be worth a look how things are handled there.
    So France, Switzerland, Austria might be worth investigating too.

And: that's a very good Plan: go for the "route des grandes alpes"

Cheers
    Uli