Thread: Window regulator pivot pin - replacement

Window regulator pivot pin - replacement

Hello

I am going thru the process of replacing the window regulator pivot pin in a 1970 911. Standard wind-up windows. This car has just been repainted in Tangerine, color change from silver. When the car was being assembled the pins looked good, but after a very short time the roll-up and roll-down action did not feel right. When we had a look inside we found the pivot pin was broken. Next time I have a window regulator in front of me with an original pin I will just replace it. I have never replaced one of these pins before so I am hoping that somebody on the forum will chime in with some of the finer points as I grind my way thru this.

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Rodger@orbitracing.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Removing the pin

The original pin was pressed and expanded to secure it into the regulator. I used a death-wheel to trim off the edges then a hammer and punch to remove the pin.

Replacement Pin

I ordered a replacement pin from Stoddard. Thru some searches on ESR I learned there are four different pins made for window regulators but the 1970 is most likely the 26mm long pin with the spring slot parallel to the machined flats. When I ordered the pin from Stoddard they told me that I would need to open up the slot in the pivot pin to make it work. That sounded strange but I ordered some and figured that I would make it work. Now that I have the regulator apart it sure would be nice to find a pin that actually works as delivered. Has anybody found a source for a good pivot pin? The spring has a thickness of .080" and the slot has a width of .072" , so I can make these work. Seems like almost every new part for this car has required a little work to make it fit and look proper, whether I get it from a Porsche dealer or any of the many other part suppliers. Another oddity is the very small washer that is meant to retain the pin in the regulator. The diameter of the washer just barely goes across the opening for the slot. Since this pin will be secured with the bolt shown in the picture and not peened over like the original one I will use a bigger washer ( if I end up using this pin). If anybody has done this job recently and found a better pin, please let me know. Does anybody have a suggestion how to get the coil spring installed once the new pin is secure?

member #1515
    this should help you: thanks to Jim,
    posts 32 on.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=pivot+pin
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I received an email on Friday stating that Rennline has started making replacement window regulator pivot pins:

http://rennblog.com/window-pivot-pins-release/

You may want to contact them to see if one of their pins (they list two) will fit as-is for your car.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

The pin supplied by Stoddard will work just fine. Youy may need to open the slot for the spring but that is no big deal. Don't use the screw and the stupid washer that is supplied with the pin. Follow my "tutorial" and you will have a bullet proof fix. The pins are made by another company and are not the most beautiful piece but they do work and that is all that matters. A bit of history: Those pins were developed by Lukes and Shorman in Albany, Ca. They weree constantly replacing broken window regulators for customers and realized that almost all of them failed because of the broken pin. They started fixing all of the regulators and offering the pins to other shops. Well, the idea and the design of the pins got ripped off by some well known aftermarket Porsche parts suppliers and have been made by many other since. The original pins from L & S (There are 4 different ones to cover all the models of 356s and 911s) were very well made. The ones we get these days, not so much.

Regards

Jim

Rennline does produce good products. As Jim suggested, their are several styles/sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OSPxhmqWTjE
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111