Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uncle Dave's ST

Yes, I meant John. Don't drink beer and type.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Yes, I meant John. Don't drink beer and type.
    Beer and golf; that's another matter.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

. . . My Uncle owned one of these 1970 original narrow body lightweights that went back to Werks for the full ST treatment. ST flares, 2.5L etc... Car was unreal fast! He brought it over to the States in 1978. No one in the US knew what it was back then but we did . . .

We Can Be Heroes

I made sure my Uncle was correct on that detail and he for sure believes it was the 2.5L. He said it was at the dealer not sold for awhile then went straight back to Werks for the upgrades.
    When your uncle bought the vehicle, was it already a 2.5? I mean... There had been a vehicle in the dealership since 1970, which was not sold, until in 1972 someone decided to improve it. Was that someone your uncle or did the factory itself claim the vehicle on its own initiative to improve it?
    Would this be one of those examples of a light vehicle with light parts that I waited for at the dealership and was not sold until later?
    How could this vehicle be validated as an ST? Yes, it was a light vehicle from the year 70 that was later fitted with a 72 2.5L engine. So since it was at the dealership it was a narrow light ST like the one found not long ago? And if so, weren't these cars made to order?

Here's what we know. Jurgen Barth sent photos of the car below in the letter to my Uncle once he was back in the US and they were tracking the history of the car. Jurgen and my Uncle are friends from the early days when my Uncle was in Germany. He said it started life as one of the original thin metal lightweight narrow body cars as you see in the photo. It was sold to Glockler and sat at the dealership for a while. We don't know how long it was at Glockler before being purchased. When it was purchased it went back to Werks and had the flares, engine and other items done. The car was never delivered to the customer until it came back from Werks with the updates. What was the engine before it went back to Werks? We can only guess but it came back with the MFI 2.5L. My Uncle had the MFI pump rebuilt by Reinhold Joest when he was still in Germany because it was running rich. Reinhold told Uncle Dave they specifically had it done to 2.5L specs. In other words the space cam had to be correct if you know how MFI pumps work. Glockler obviously received many special cars from Porsche.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    72S, 72T now ST