Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine stand

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    So which stands would you recommend, Frank?
    In summary, my answers to StephenAckworth's question is:

On the basis that engine support stand VW3054 in combination with VW313 are listed in this Porsche factory special Tools reference publication Name:  IMG_20190422_111144.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  50.1 KB

the page dated 9/82 so presumably a supplement as book is earlier is marked as applicable (x mark) against 911 and importantly even heavier 930 etc
    Name:  IMG_20190421_202850.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  47.8 KB
    The Porsche factory manual content probably makes the pairing a good bet for early 911like AKAMicks 2.2

If also used in combination with the Porsche P201 four or more arm (but being conservative probably not the VW207a three arm)
    P201 was shown in earlier 1965 special tools catalogue as applicable for 911 etc -- not sure when it was upgraded to 5 arm but likley later heavier engines so probably later than 2.2 or longhood era?
    Name:  IMG_20190421_122722.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  52.6 KB

Maybe not cheapest option for especially if it has to be sourced via VAG SnapOn VW Audi or wherever channel they are distributed. Given the Porsche factory inclusion of them in its special tools catalogues of 60s 70s as used by the official network probably makes them a worthwhile investment given value of 911 engines these days.

Yoke P201 and VW 313 holder were in these two publications listing the minimum equipment and tools to be a Porsche approved service agent in British market circa 1972. But no stand specified so not sure what Porsche recommendation for was before VW 3054 if VW 308 not suitable.
    Name:  IMG_20190422_131632.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  50.8 KB
    One star service agents (as cross referenced to the glovebox booklet list that came in the maroon wallet ) didn't actually need to have yoke P201 in their minimum tool holding. Presumably one star agents carried out fairly basic servicing work of type with engine and transmission in car.

Possibly AKAMick might source tools second hand rather than pay thousands for an occasional use items.My grey VW313 is hardly new and certainly needs cleaning /light renovation.

Name:  IMG_20190421_134638.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  59.1 KB

As stated pofessionals who earn their living using things like this might know better as they use them more regularly and their businesses probably invest in tools of trade.

Hope all goes well for AKAMick -- I'd be interested in what stand tool he is using that gived rise to concerns in OP
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-22-2019 at 05:23 AM.

I bought a yoke & clamp from Sir tools about ten years ago. Heavy duty with five arms.
    http://www.sirtools.com/porsche_tools.htm
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

The five arm stand is the one i am using, my real concern is not the stand failing but the two engine fixings it is attached to
    Last edited by AKAMick; 04-29-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    Current fleet, mostly rubbish automobiles and other assorted junk.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    ... my real concern is ... the two engine fixings it is at attachted to
    If you use more than two fastening points, you cannot split the engine. It's been done this way for 50+ years.
    If you're still concerned, show us what you're doing.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I was always under the impression that my Krebsfer 313 Engine stand (I've had dozens of them through the last 50 plus years) were factory stands. It has the brackets for the transaxle supports, too. I have started 4 cyl engines on this stand with my custom starter adapter. Never once have I been worried about something breaking. Have I been wrong all these years? Or am I just so old that these were superseded decades ago?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I was always under the impression that my Krebsfer 313 Engine stand (I've had dozens of them through the last 50 plus years) were factory stands.
    Jim,

Krebsfer is a large Brazilian company that manufactures industrial equipment, including repair equipment for Volkswagens.
    That stand is identical to Cliff's on the previous page.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Krebsfer...

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Yes, very well made. I got mine for little $ @ Pomona and passed on the other stand with no yoke. Too lazy to carry it to my car!!
    Pictured below is a well made Belzer, VW ? Yoke & clamp. It has what looks like a cut out for a factory flywheel lock. The clamp is aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-30-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Cliff,

Belzer is an old Germany company, but similar to Gedore, they also had a large tool factory in Brazil.
    If the black 2-arm yoke is German, it will be stamped in between the two arms. It's a VW 307, or a copy of one. It's what Porsche used in the early 356 days.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Great replies and very interesting info; particularly the photos of different set-ups!
    Thanks so much to everyone!
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616