This Porsche factory publication...
    Name:  IMG_20190501_220033.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  44.5 KB
    ..states the following...
    Name:  IMG_20190501_220105.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  67.4 KB

My example is a UK market VW-Porsche publication in English xxxx .2O sometimes referred to as Rest Of World English speaking suffix but it does mention "our partners all over the world" and points them to the addresses stated which seems to imply these were approved sources at 71.

No reference to the Brazilian brand as at this publication date

In the case of the clamp it gives the supplier as Matra so that probably makes it a good recommendation for engines in longhood cars even if other brands might have existed:
    Name:  IMG_20190501_220155.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  77.1 KB

This tool wasn't required by one star service agents as denoted in the glovebox service directory list but was part of minimum holding for two and three star classified service agents. If ok back in the day for 2 and 3 star service agents then the Matra 313s I've shown above together with the Matra stand that appears with Porsche 911checked in a later Porsche official publication is probably good enough stand pair for me as a hobbyist:

More generally tool supplier and their address is often different depending on the type of tool in this dealer required minimum holding. In some cases several alternative tools and brands are given.

I have a number of Porsche Audi tool letters listing the required holdings and toolboard contents for dealers dating from around similar era but afaik they don't specify an actual tool supplier they just use the P or VW number.

HtH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-01-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Porsche Engine Stands

In terms of engine stands, holders or support pieces, there were only two genuine Porsche items through the 50s, 60s and 70s, prior to the 928.
    Those were the 3-arm P112 yoke, and the 4-arm P201 yoke. The P112 was designed for the 4-cam Carrera and Spyder engines, and the P201 for the 911 and 6-cylinder racing engines.

Everything else Porsche used or suggested for use, from stands to clamps, were Volkswagen pieces. The manufacturers of most genuine German VW tools were Matra and Peiseler.
    Most of these pieces have been reproduced too, usually in the US and in Brazil. Many of the reproductions are very good.

Here are two genuine Porsche yokes, a P112 and a P201.

If you look closely at the factory photos in the 911 Workshop Manual, volume I, a 3-arm P112 yoke is supporting the engine, but it had already been discontinued in favor of the P201 yoke.
    In the 356 factory manuals, a 2-arm Volkswagen VW307 yoke is usually seen holding the pushrod engines.

Name:  DSCN0829.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0830.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0831.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0832.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  72.4 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

And if you were curious, here's a factory Porsche 7-arm 928 yoke, tool number 9127...

Name:  DSCN0834.jpg
Views: 2560
Size:  112.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

And if you were curious as to why they're called "yokes", here are the yokes of a Boeing B17.
    Gotta love the horn buttons ;-)

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Any idea what the three arm Krebsfer was used for, considering the case could not be split with it attached? Cliff
    I like the double yoker in post # 24 above!
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-05-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Any idea what the three arm Krebsfer was used for, considering the case could not be split with it attached?
    Cliff, your 3-arm Krebsfer yoke looks like an aftermarket version of the VW307a factory Volkswagen yoke.
    These are not my images...

I've never owned or used one of these, and not being an expert on all things VW, I can't explain the 3rd arm.
    It does locate over the other case half, but even if the 3rd bolt was removed, the arm pad would still interfere with the case register ring when splitting the case.

This yoke was only recommended by Porsche for one engine- the VW-based 4-cylinder 914 engine.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

An old school "bigger is better" machinist built a portable stand that could be disassembled and fold up. The casters (McMaster Carr) have retractable hard rubber feet in them (M12 model) known as Leveling Plate Casters. This one was in a 356 Registry article about the heating system on a 356SC "German Heat" engine. Stand got no credit. In the meantime I've dismantled a couple of 911 engines on it. The portability was a key element as was stability. I wasn't about to bore holes in the floor as floor space is "gold".
    I've got an "old school" portable stand out of a Porsche shop in the shed, however, the stability isn't close to this.

The other one is a running stand that we donated to a worthy cause. With an oil supply and front support a 911 engine could be put on it as well. I kidded "Charlie" about this one when it showed up. "CHARLIE, it's not a V8!" Heavy is the operative word. The photo was taken before it was powder coated. It was also built to be taken down fairly easily. It also ended up with heavier duty versions of the same McMaster-Carr casters (M16 model). It's the only way to move it unless there is a forklift or 4 "shaved apes".

Utilized a Zalex Industries "Ring" http://zalexindustries.com/356.html and their control box with oil pressure and generator idiot lights. http://zalexindustries.com/control_box.html Tom Perazzo is a great guy to work with.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by sithot; 05-06-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Porsche Engine Stands

The factory racing department was still using their old 3-arm 356 Carrera yokes well into the 1970s... :-)

Name:  DSCN0849.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  148.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    An old school "bigger is better" machinist built a portable stand that could be disassembled and fold up. The casters (McMaster Carr) have retractable hard rubber feet in them (M12 model) known as Leveling Plate Casters. This one was in a 356 Registry article about the heating system on a 356SC "German Heat" engine. Stand got no credit. In the meantime I've dismantled a couple of 911 engines on it. The portability was a key element as was stability. I wasn't about to bore holes in the floor as floor space is "gold".
    I've got an "old school" portable stand out of a Porsche shop in the shed, however, the stability isn't close to this.

The other one is a running stand that we donated to a worthy cause. With an oil supply and front support a 911 engine could be put on it as well. I kidded "Charlie" about this one when it showed up. "CHARLIE, it's not a V8!" Heavy is the operative word. The photo was taken before it was powder coated. It was also built to be taken down fairly easily. It also ended up with heavier duty versions of the same McMaster-Carr casters (M16 model). It's the only way to move it unless there is a forklift or 4 "shaved apes".

Utilized a Zalex Industries "Ring" http://zalexindustries.com/356.html and their control box with oil pressure and generator idiot lights. http://zalexindustries.com/control_box.html Tom Perazzo is a great guy to work with.

Tom
    I am trying to build something like the one using the Zalex adapter. Do you have any more pics of it as it would really help me design mine?

A very interesting thread.

How tall is the Matra 308 engine stand? What are the dimensions of the square tubing that is used? Thickness too if possible!

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512