Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Engine stand

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    How tall is the Matra 308 engine stand? What are the dimensions of the square tubing that is used? Thickness too if possible!
    Neil, the original Matra VW 308 stand was made with a solid I-beam.
    I see round-tubing stands occasionally identified as VW 308, but I think these are actually VW 643 stands.
    I don't have any dimensions for a VW 308, but someone on Samba was making reproductions based on an original version he had.

The VW 643 stand, which appeared in the late 50s, replaced the I-beam with large diameter round tubing.
    The Volkswagen 3054 stand, which appears to still be available, is made of rectangular tubing.

Here are VW 643 dimensions from Volkswagen, for local manufacture.
    The drawings are dated August '58, and these pages are dated March '59.
    The drawings indicate the tubing length as 736mm, although I have two of these with 825mm tubing, so these were made taller at some point.

All these images are from TheSamba.com

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

There's a fellow on the Samba from Italy who is selling the square tube version and I've asked him for dimensions. If Jim isn't out on the golf course, perhaps he might chime in with the dimensions of his stand.
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2595947
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

There's a fellow on the Samba from Italy who is selling the square tube version and I've asked him for dimensions...
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2595947
    Neil, that's not a genuine Volkswagen stand, or even a decent replica. The scrap piece of diamond plate should make that obvious.
    Are you making a stand to support a 6-cylinder Porsche engine?

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi Neil,

Here is my VW308 stand. If you need some measurements I will be happy to help you. The down brace on the stand adn the 917 looking turnbuckle brace are a few removable modifications that are not original. The I beam design presnets quite a bit of twisting with a motor loaded on the stand. The braces are there to help me sleep at night.

Take care,

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    The VW 643 stand, which appeared in the late 50s, replaced the I-beam with large diameter round tubing.
    Here's a 6-cylinder Porsche engine mounted on one of my two VW 643 stands.
    One of these stands came from an old Porsche+Audi dealer.

As you can see, these are bolted directly to the concrete floor.
    They support the weight well, but I can get a slight bounce with a 6-cylinder engine, maybe half an inch. I think the floor plates flex a bit.
    I use an adjustable 928 engine stand support as well, if I'm ever concerned.

Name:  DSCN4580.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  117.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi Jon and Brad,

Jon, I did wonder about that diamond plate. Certainly didn't seem properly German.

Brad, your stand looks plenty beefy! Best of all, it has wheels! I-beam vs circular tubing vs square tubing would be a worthwhile student engineering exercise in cantelever design analysis.

I have had Stoddard's version of the VW 313 clamp/base and the 307? 'four-arm" engine mount for many years. I have used the latter in the typical 4-wheel engine stand designed for V8 work. The former has been patiently waiting to be pressed into service for decades.

I find that working on a 4-or 6 cylinder Porsche engine on the 4-wheel stand is uncomfortably low. 50 years ago I used a factory stand and I remember the engines being at a comfortable working height for 6' 1" me. As such, I'm looking to mount the 313-307 onto the 4-wheel stand.

Jon, how tall is your 643 stand at the top of the plate that the 313 is bolted to?

Brad, How tall is the 313 base plate on your stand, including the wheels? How tall are you?

Thanks!

https://www.stoddard.com/t55201313.html.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Neil '67 911S; 01-30-2023 at 03:13 AM.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Jon, how tall your 643 stand is at the top of the plate that the 313 bolted to?
    About 33" to the floor.
    The measurement pictured is from the top of the floor plate.

Name:  DSCN4784.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  72.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks Jon!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Porsche image of a 911 crankcase mounted on a tubular engine stand, from the factory workshop manual.
    This was either a VW stand, with the front bracket airbrushed out, or perhaps Porsche ordered or fabricated similar stands for occasional factory use.

Most images in the manuals show engines on bench-mounted stands, with VW clamps and Porsche yokes.

Name:  DSCN4785.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  65.0 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I received these support arms with one of my stands, but have never cleaned them up or used them.
    They're most useful for VW Type 2 transmissions (transporter, van, bus, kombi etc), with transfer case axle tubes.

With a Porsche 356 transmission on the stand...
    Name:  DSCN9830.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3254.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  101.7 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA