Thread: Shaking an swb sunroof clip

Seeking an swb sunroof clip

Also posted this on the bird, but I have this temptation to seek a short wheel base sunroof clip, for a peculiar project. To be perfectly honest, I would like to be talked out of it, but I can't seem to let the idea go.

If anyone has a short wheel base sunroof clip, let me know price, and pictures would be very helpful.

Thank you, in advance, as always.
    Last edited by mshaver51; 04-30-2019 at 06:10 AM.

There's one in the Los Angeles Craigslist with full a, b and c pillars. Unfortunately, it looks like someone used it as a sled.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

looked on LA craigslist, but the only clip was non-sunroof. thank you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    Also posted this on the bird, but I have this temptation to seek a short wheel base sunroof clip, for a peculiar project. To be perfectly honest, I would like to be talked out of it, but I can't seem to let the idea go.

If anyone has a short wheel base sunroof clip, let me know price, and pictures would be very helpful.

Thank you, in advance, as always.
    Mike

Sunroofs are a pain in the ass. I've lived with one in my 911 for 46 years until just recently. I paid to have it removed and am delighted with the outcome. I can now fit into my car with a helmet on and don't have to worry about water leaking in my lap on rainy days. I bought the car in 1973 because it had a sunroof. I like it much more now that it is gone.

Regards

Jim

I very much respect Jim's advice. The only reason to endure a sunroof is originality.

Also, please forgive the autocorrect for making the word "seeking" into the word "shaking" in the title for this thread.

I have great respect for Jim, but I've had 70% sunroof cars in over 4 dozen 911s, and I strongly prefer them. I have never had an issue with a sunroof leaking, though I did have a problem with one going out of alignment and scraping the paint, and another time, someone tried to break into the car by prying up the sunroof. That was a mess. Early 911s after the wind wing era have poor air circulation and a sunroof helps.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I have great respect for Jim, but I've had 70% sunroof cars in over 4 dozen 911s, and I strongly prefer them. I have never had an issue with a sunroof leaking, though I did have a problem with one going out of alignment and scraping the paint, and another time, someone tried to break into the car by prying up the sunroof. That was a mess. Early 911s after the wind wing era have poor air circulation and a sunroof helps.
    In all honesty, most of the issues I have had with my sunroof are due to my lack of maintenance and leaving the car outside for 5 years. The drains got clogged and allowed water to get into places where it had no business being. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought a car without a sunroof. Bill makes a good point about air circulation, though.

Jim

I have a sunroof clip purchased on a whim that may or may not find an end use... my plan was to scab the workings into a spare W113 hardtop. The real things are unicorns in SL world.

Anyway, here's a photo from the ad posted by Tom (tcsracing1) and the link: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...market-sunroof

IMG_1971.jpg

Yours if interested, $200 bucks.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT