Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do in ‘64? 901 vs Carrera 2

What to do in ‘64? 901 vs Carrera 2

I was able to drive a friends 1964 356C Carrera 2 and it was very impressive.

I’m not sure what I would have done in 1964: order the new 901 or a Carrera 2, which was an expensive car. Yes the 901 was bigger inside with a wider track, 6 cylinder etc but that Carrera with the 2.0 liter 4 cam and ATE brakes was very refined and powerful. The interior of the 356C was certainly more elegant and the car designed to run for hours at high speed on the autobahn. All the kinks of the early 1500cc roller bearing cranks were basically worked out too. Don’t forget that Fuhrmann designed 4 cam is what made Porsche in racing.

I don’t know what the contemporary reviews were like.

Here’s the interior of my (completely original unrestored - yes even the seats Frank) 356C which was similar.

What would you have done then (not thinking how things turned out later and setting aside purchase price and availability). Not for racing but street use.

I would take the Carrera 2 as I find it much more elegant.

Any other thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rower; 04-27-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Having been around the cars then I don't remember except I was eagerly waiting to see the new Porsche. I was totally taken with the speedster back then. I have never been a fan of the T6 body style and especially Karmanns for questionable build quality. Probably the 901. Knowing what I know now and having worked at Rennwagen for a time, definitely the 901.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

The incomparable Jenks' comments Name:  Screenshot_20190427-212521~2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  158.2 KB

Interesting Jenkins article. Another page?

The C2 is not a lightweight. Rather the equivalent of the businessman's lunch; a bloated T6 with a 4cam. If it was a T5B GT or the 901, I would take the 356 then and now.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Interesting Jenkins article. Another page?
    .......it was just an intro paragraph or two to a roadtest of a 911 undertaken Jan 73. That was only comment on 901/911 as first introduced ....possibly this other part slightly relavant to the post -- his views of 911 performance up to 2.2 engine:

Name:  IMG_20190427_214702.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  120.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    The C2 is not a lightweight. Rather the equivalent of the businessman's lunch; a bloated T6 with a 4cam. If it was a T5B GT or the 901, I would take the 356 then and now.
    I agree it’s a GT cruiser in that sense. Having said that it handled really well, felt powerful and was very comfortable. The 1957 GT we drove before that was loud, uncomfortable, peaky but definitely race oriented.

So the question was for your daily driver type car - not for race

Seems like Jenks preferred the Carrera 2 as he was disappointed in the 901?
    Last edited by rower; 04-27-2019 at 02:35 PM.

That's me, loud and uncomfortable. I drove speedsters daily for years, winters as well. One of those was a GT. A sports car.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

The 356 Carrera every time for me. I love the more open glass T6 look. An intimate engaging and by then sorted car with a superb engine. The 901 was still some distance from being fully sorted at that stage but had more room and that lovely profile.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

The general consensus with my high school crowd was the 356, but none of us could afford either.