Thread: Oil Change Question

Oil Change Question

G'Day everyone!
    For the first time, I am changing the oil in my 1968 Porsche 912 Targa with a 1968 911 engine. I am using the link herein/below as a guide.
    https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-chan...ed-porsche-911

Everything is clear and simple enough but what worries me is the part where it says fill it up initially with 8 quarts then run the engine and top up to the middle of the top and bottom dipstick lines. Unfortunately, my dipstick is inaccurate being that the oil filler neck and height in the 912 has been modified and hence alters the accuracy of the dipstick level. Is there a safe amount to go by to avoid overfilling? I just want to fill it with the right amount in quarts/litres and avoid the risk of overfilling it. Finally, what is the recommended grade oil should I use for an engine in great condition? Please, we don't have as much range here in my local autoparts store so I just need to go by a Porsche recommended grade oil (I'm from Melbourne,Australia). Thanks a lot everyone!

Since you're starting from zero, with a known quanity of oil, you can create your own marks on the stick. I don't know what tank they put in your car, but probably no more than 9 1/2 qts. Make sure the oil is good and hot for that final mark, like 200 degrees since that will be your future absolute top mark.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Sir! Exactly what I had in mind, I will make my own mark on the dipstick.

Sorry ... I thought you were putting 8 quarts into a 912 engine, did not fully read post
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I think u should find a correct dip stick for your tank and transfer the marks, so u know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Since you're starting from zero, with a known quanity of oil, you can create your own marks on the stick. I don't know what tank they put in your car, but probably no more than 9 1/2 qts. Make sure the oil is good and hot for that final mark, like 200 degrees since that will be your future absolute top mark.
    This is so agonizing...so many differing information on the net In summary, if I put in the total of 9.5 quarts (8.9 litres equivalent) I should be safe from overfilling the car? Thanks Ed and everyone!

Yes, you are safe from overfill at 9.5 quarts in 2.0L engine (assuming you first drained sump and tank). Get engine up to temp and see where that falls on your dipstick for reference
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

Thanks John...I feel better now.

If you are worried, use a graduated pan to see how many old oil you drained.
    Fill with the same amount of new oil.
    Then take your baby for a ride and when the engine is at temp check oil level and refill if needed.

Just checked to be sure, factory spec calls for 9.5l = 9.0 qt.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut