Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 911T production numbers

1971 911T production numbers

The only source of production figures I’ve found are in the Technical Specifications booklet for the '69-'71 models showing T's built up to the end of December 1970 :

977 Porsche-built Coupes
    1587 Karmann-built Coupes &
    1523 Targas

Total figures for the '71 model year are not given since the booklet was produced in Mar '71 (1st edition). Maybe there was a later edition printed which has the total numbers produced?

I’m more familiar with 72/3 figures but even later dated prints done years later show figure to end of calendar year in those tech specs books I’ve looked at. Not sure why they give that snapshot maybe linked to a financial year milestone? Using the 72/3 booklets as example these tech specs booklet across various editions (they did reprints much later) I’ve only seen give chassis number at end of calendar 72 — which in case of the 73 Carrera RS needs to bear in mind the actual chassis sequence begins at at 0011 (not 0001). This is due to the factory reserving first 10 chassis for pre production. Therefore reading it simplistically might overstate the chassis tally as at end of calendar year by ten examples . Sticking with 73 RS from memory the specifics are 0319 minus 10 so 309 instances made (if I interpret it correctly?). I only mention this because a similar pre production adjustment might be required to figures for T or whatever in any equivalent model 71 tech spec booklet e-o-y datapoints ?

I have seen press releases that give some overall totals for year and percent breakdowns sometimes of targa coupe and maybe model? I’m not sure these will help tallying T in 71 as these seem linked to financial year summary . Do a search … I posted a few of these period press release images here from my various references but don’t offhand recall the contents
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-21-2024 at 11:19 PM.

Have you looked at the Red Book ?

I’m away from home so can’t tell you - but simple search indicates:

“D-series production ended in August 1971 to make way for the new 2.4-litre E-series variant. A total of 2,517 911 T Coupes were produced and 3,476 911 T Targas were made”
    https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-91...oogle_vignette
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Is it me being slow but something doesn’t seem tally between the figure in the tech spec box booklet (which is up to end of calendar year 70 and the figures in the link just posted above which seems to be the end of production year which usually in line with the summer closedown of August for traditional practical purposes of making changeover when factory are closed

Peter Morgan's book "Original Porsche 911 1964-1998" reports the following production numbers for 1971 Ts:

583 Porsche-built T Coupes
    1934 Karmann-built T Coupes &
    3476 Targas
    1971 911 T Targa, metallic green

… consistent but still it seems doesn’t tally with the calendar year figure in tech specs book unless T not built in the second calendar year or that factory booklet data was brought in line with Production year total ?

As said more familiar with 73 RS and that model has very granular records that can be verified . The RS built to end of calendar year 72 being in total 309 ( last one but before end calendar 72 is chassis 0319) is proof in. That booklet it is an end of calendar year 72 figure. So there is evidence the tech spec booklet is a if 72/3 is indeed calendar year end snapshot because it can be verified from other sources and private papers and rather gives credence to the email year figure being what was shown in this tech spec books .

I haven’t bothered out my original earlier tech specs booklet containing 71 to see the original image for the figures shiwn in first post. Am I confused or missing something as to why the first post’s datapoint doesn’t tally with the other two ?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-22-2024 at 08:30 AM.

2573 Coupé
    3466 Targa
    1924 K Coupé
    are the correct production numbers for the 1971 model year 911T
    The end of 1970 calendar year is only midway mark of the model year, but probably includes all of the Karmann production .
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

What is the source of the figures in last post?

Morgan’s book is NOT infallible. For sure, motor SN number issues for ‘68, so as with any pub, I’m at the point where I look at several sources but, who’s to say those errors aren’t merely repeated from other sources over the years and not independently re-verified.

Disclaimer: No RS specific information has been included in this post and therefore reduces the risk of correction.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Collected from many sources, mostly factory literature. The "Porsche Family Tree" booklets are one source. My figures assume that VIN starts at 0011 which is correct for this year. I have access to factory records, and that is why I know that the 1971 911S coupe has a gaping hole in the VINs mid-year accounting for some 286 cars not built as one would assume from the VIN range published. BTW, I have spent some 50 years doing this type of research. Many published sources ARE wrong, so I have carefully verified as much as I can.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers