Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mystery 911 S ?

And the plot thickens... Sort of I am glad to post that I was able to get more information about the Mystery 911S. But with that information comes more questions! Based off the production number, I was able to confirm the vin number. And based off the engine number, I was able to confirm that the vin # was correct. Then the question about the paint... Come to find out, it was just a mistype when transferring to the COA. The car indeed is Albert Blue 18. So, it's all starting to fall into place. But now my wheels are spinning. After doing so much digging and research on this car, I have noticed some irregularities. The biggest oddity is that the engine is roughly 250 units out of sequence. Of course, not unheard of but odd. And on the factory build sheet, it was written in and not typed (I guess after 1969, every build sheet was now typed on the typewriter). I'm sure there are a dozen explanations for this but it just seems odd. The next oddity was the "Tourist Inspection". This was hard to be explained based off the information I was able to obtain. I guess that was not a common occurrence back then and seemed peculiar. Maybe the myth about the original owner being a Pilot from NYC is true and he just happened to be in Germany and wanted a Porsche?

Quote Originally Posted by genevaforeign View Post
    . . . Based off the production number, I was able to confirm the vin number. And based off the engine number, I was able to confirm that the vin # was correct . . .
    What is the VIN?

And what are the 'correct' engine and production numbers?

We Can Be Heroes

When you say “build sheet” specifically what document are you referring to… are you referring to the original Fahzeug-Auftrag?

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    When you say “build sheet” specifically what document are you referring to… are you referring to the original Fahzeug-Auftrag?
    I would think it's the Kardex translation.
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

Yep that’s why clarifying as these are different things used for different purposes

I had basically the same problem with a 70 albert blue T that was stolen and recovered. The insurance company resold the car with the bogus number on it to a dealer who sold it to a retail customer who had it for over 35 years until he died. I eventually got the car, took the dash pad off and was able to get the id number from the production number. Production numbers and id numbers do not follow in order (Dave Pateman knows about this) in that they may paint a bunch of albert blue bodies and throw them back with production numbers in order, but when someone orders an albert blue one, they go and grab it, equip it as ordered and THEN assign an id number

Quote Originally Posted by dr914 View Post
    I had basically the same problem with a 70 albert blue T that was stolen and recovered. The insurance company resold the car with the bogus number on it to a dealer who sold it to a retail customer who had it for over 35 years until he died. I eventually got the car, took the dash pad off and was able to get the id number from the production number. Production numbers and id numbers do not follow in order (Dave Pateman knows about this) in that they may paint a bunch of albert blue bodies and throw them back with production numbers in order, but when someone orders an albert blue one, they go and grab it, equip it as ordered and THEN assign an id number
    The process of revinning an automobile by the governing DMV where the car was recovered was not done? Or was the revin sticker or riveted ID removed after the sale? When a stolen car gets recovered even 50 years ago DMV installs (affixes) a DMV generated sticker or riveted ID with a "new" unique vin number different from the original and creates title before it's auctioned. This is the rebuilding of a stolen car's "title" ensuring transferable ownership and eliminates a future pandora's box from opening. DMV does not want 2 cars running around with the same vin number or an altered number. Think of what can happen.

Here's the curve ball in researching of an old vin number whether its the original , revinn or a bad vin number most DMV and insurance company records are purged when inactive for a period of time. For example NYS DMV purges inactive vin numbers every 5 years. So a car the was last registered in 1984 in NYS when going to register now in NYS will have no record of that vin in their in house system.

I believe a 50 years previous car theft police report is not purged in a police department.
    Last edited by Perry911; 02-25-2024 at 11:17 AM.
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)