Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: $1K 68 Sportomatic

Our local dump has a Hazmat drop off day 2 time a year. I have the nasty stuff in milk jugs and drop them off. Not too bad as long as you make the date.
    I wear a respirator, gloves, jacket, goggles and did it outside. Only brought in to take the pictures. I will strain the chemicals and pour them back into the glass jug for safe keeping. I do not plan to use this much. More of a 1 or 2 times a year kind of thing.

Name:  IMG_3213[1].jpg
Views: 364
Size:  121.4 KB

Yeah Baby, Upgraded power supply , 4 anodes, rotate every 5 min, hand and flip. May have had the amps up a touch too high but looks good.

That looks pretty good. What amperage did you have it set to and how long overall?

I'm finding the anodes on all sides or in the very least larger make a big difference. I recently purchased more. I hadn't noticed how thin and ragged mine had become. Better then half the overall thickness was gone.

I ran 14.5 and plated for 20 min. rotated and flipped every 5 min or so.

Dang, old thin gauge sheet metal is tough to work with. The metal is so thin, there is not enough to weld to. Keeps opening up. I'm using thin filler rod and low amps on the TIG machine.
    I twisted 2 pieces of MIG .030 wire together for the filler rod. I have 1/16" but even that is too thick.

I had to do a little rust repair. I have plenty of time to locate another if I can't get this. I would be fine if I was going to powder coat it. I could finish sanding and fill the rest of the pin holes. But I plan on plating it and need it to be solid.

Maybe for now I will get it the best I can, powder coat it and call it god for now. Pick up a good one some day and all will be good.

Name:  IMG_3219[1].jpg
Views: 349
Size:  104.7 KB

Did some powder coating today in my Easy Bake Oven. Looked good.
    Name:  IMG_3221.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3220.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3222.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  85.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3224.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  77.3 KB

Finally after many attempts to get it correct. The larger power supply helped.
    The calipers are complete. Well, almost. Still waiting on some pads, clips and bleeder valve
    Name:  old 1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3245[1].jpg
Views: 297
Size:  107.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3241[2].jpg
Views: 299
Size:  72.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3244[1].jpg
Views: 288
Size:  99.7 KB

The brake pad retaining pins and spring look horrible.
    They look too rough.
    Just buy new.

But you did a nice job on the caliper itself.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Thanks,
    I have new pins, clips and springs on the way with pads from PMB.

Finished the brakes, now to start on the steering rack.
    It was nice and tight but still wanted to clean the bearing and repack.
    Dang, Had a heck of a time getting one of the inner tie rod ends off. The large nut was rusted the the locking plate and would not budge.
    Had to take a grinder to the tie rod end so a 3/4" drive socket would fit. Some heat and and 3/4" impact gun was able to break it loose.

I made a quick puller fashioned after the original one in the Porsche manual. However mine was made from a 1/2" bolt, nuts, a metric coupling, and a piece of exhaust pipe. Worked like a charm and for under $4. SWEET.
    Cleaned and plated, now ready for reassembly.
    Name:  IMG_3327[1].jpg
Views: 245
Size:  136.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3367[1].jpg
Views: 259
Size:  152.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3368[1].jpg
Views: 251
Size:  169.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3371[1].jpg
Views: 246
Size:  136.6 KB