Thread: Randy Jones' (RLJ) Iris - looking for photos/info

Randy Jones' (RLJ) Iris - looking for photos/info

Hi all, hoping for some help in digging through the personal archives of some of the early / early911 members. About a year ago I purchased Randy's "Iris" '71 911E. I've been able to dig out quite a bit of info by searching here, Pelican, and the online photos i can find from the early R Gruppe Treffens. I'm cross-posting here and there to cast a big net.

If you have old photos, or stories of the man himself and the journey to build this hotrod, would love to hear them - here or via PM is fine. For reference, what i've been able to determine is that a lot of the work was done personally by Randy, Dick Elverud built the 3.2l, Gordon Ledbetter built the transmission, Gamroth did the corner balance and some of the suspension work as best i can tell.

Pic of the car for reference:

Name:  image (2).png
Views: 313
Size:  889.8 KB

Yes I was there when Randy showed up with his hot rod 911E. I would say around the first R-gruppe meeting in year 2000 in Cambria, CA. I did take some pictures of his car but they are on film and would not know how to transfer to the internet. PM me for how to send copies, but am really busy now and you would have wait a while. I am sure other R- Grupper's took pics as well-- his car was quite impressive when he showed up. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Randy Jones

R-Gruppe Treffen May 3, 2002, "3rd Tour de Cambria" at the Cambria Shores Inn...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Much thanks Ernie W and Chris - I knew there would be some folks with some history... hadn't considered that we're talking circa 2001-2004 when Kodak was still the digital still camera king and the smartphone was yet to be invented!

the main thing about Randy Jones was that the R- gruppe was just starting and here is Randy showing up with a "sports purpose" car already done in the year 2000
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue