Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting id number from production number

getting id number from production number

I have exhausted all of my possibilities so am just asking here: Does anyone know a source to get the original vehicle id number for my 1970 911t from the production number? I have a theft recovery from years ago that has an assigned number from the insurance company and would like to find the original number so I can get a certificate of authenticity

Hm

Well, the VIN is stamped into the sheet metal of the floor of the front luggage compartment as well as on a alu tag riveted to the front slam panel. On US cars, there's also another tag affixed to the left-side A-pillar

Are none of these locations still intact?

We Can Be Heroes

all three locations have reassigned numbers, all I have is the yellow grease pencil number under the dash, even the stamped production number under the radio has been hacked at one time and the transmission number ground down

Have you searched for a number stamped in the metal around the edge of the shift linkage tunnel vent opening in front of the rear seats?

The number on the tunnel is only for Karmann made bodies. This one has a Porsche coupe production #. According to my source, this production # cannot be found in his record list, which is a bit odd. The last time I tried this we got the VIN no problem. It really makes me wonder as to the state of the records that Porsche kept.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    Have you searched for a number stamped in the metal around the edge of the shift linkage tunnel vent opening in front of the rear seats?

there is no number there and actually never was

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The number on the tunnel is only for Karmann made bodies. This one has a Porsche coupe production #. According to my source, this production # cannot be found in his record list, which is a bit odd. The last time I tried this we got the VIN no problem. It really makes me wonder as to the state of the records that Porsche kept.
    I know of no search other than the NATB (may not exist anymore) that can do a reverse search and come up with a Ch # from a production number. It is easy to come up with the produstion number from a Ch#.

Regards

Jim

Thanks to you, though, David, I know that this car is 9110100 something, and is between 123 and 300. One would think that Porsche would keep as accurate a record on these 911s as they do on the 356 models, but evidently not

Well, we are assuming that this was originally a 911T, but the production # could, theoretically, be for a 911E or a 911S coupe. Your possible VIN range is the most likely range, but could be much wider. The trouble is that we have very little data. To that end I would encourage people to look up their production# and send it with the VIN & badge paint code to me.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I know for a fact that this is a 911t as it is a very original car, and is ill equipped with perlon carpet, no s gauges no sunroof no sway bars and only 14 inch Fuchs wheels as an option. Furthermore it has zenith carbs and the base exterior bumper and rocker trim. Was down south its whole life as it has never been rusted nor damaged, and has never had any bodywork other than an exterior repaint. It also has had Coolaire Miami ac installed at the dealer when the car was new further giving credence that the car was delivered to a southern dealer I am hoping to find out the vehicle id number shortly, as I have contacted another source in Germany, so we will see if he has any better luck than all of us so far.

Well, we are assuming that this was originally a 911T, but the production # could, theoretically, be for a 911E or a 911S coupe. Your possible VIN range is the most likely range, but could be much wider. The trouble is that we have very little data. To that end I would encourage people to look up their production# and send it with the VIN & badge paint code to me.