Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 911T Targa Hard Window or Soft window Conversion?

Talking 1968 911T Targa Hard Window or Soft window Conversion?

Hi Everyone, I am finishing up a 6 Year Restoration on my 1968 911T Targa which is Polo Red.
    Its a numbers matching car and I have tried souring the best experts for the various parts ie John Audette did all of the lights,
    Tony and Autos International did all of the interior, Harvey Weidman did my Fuchs (took 4 years but worth the wait), Shaun and Tru 6 is going to
    be doing some of the trim. I got a whole new harness from Kroon for the entire car. The motor and trans have been rebuilt and PMB did all the brakes.

I am trying to get a consensus on doing a Hard Window to Soft Window Conversion and what It will do to the value of the car.

Will it hurt it or help it?

Its a pretty Unusual Car. Its optional equipment was:

-Recaro Sport Seats with Black Leatherette, Pepita (Black, Red and White)
    -Tinted Heated Rear Window ( the correct rear window with vertical lines was not in the car when I bought and has proven to be difficult to find)
    -Forged Light Allow Wheels
    -H1 Halogen Headlamps (euro version because it was a euro car)
    -Antenna
    -Motor Suppression Kit
    -Speaker
    -Veluran Floor Mats.

Long story short I have this 1968 911T , a 1972 911ST which I am in the process of making into a 3.4L twin plug animal and a bone stock 1983 Grand Prix white 911SC.

I have been meticulously restoring this car and have gone through every component on it with the intention of making as good as new.

A month ago my wife was diagnosed with stage 3 Rectal Cancer and we are going to be facing some changes and I am looking to downsize my collection by selling this 1968
    to help fund finishing up my other two cars and help cover some other expenses and free up my time to spend with my two small kids and my wife.

My question is since I am selling this car, does anyone have any speculation on what it will do to the value if I do a soft window conversion?
    One of the main reasons I considering this is because I don't have the correct rear window with vertical lines. Mentally that puts me one step closer to considering this, although most
    people would not even know their was a difference (but I would be disclosing that anyways).

They seem to be brining more money and selling for a premium. I am typically a purist but since I am now going to be selling it, Its about getting top dollar.

Any insight or examples of what the conversion has done to a value of a car you have seen or had or a friend has owned, would be helpful.

I added a few pick of the parts for the car because a post with no pics is boring.

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  61.0 KBName:  harness.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  89.0 KBName:  seats - Copy.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  126.5 KBName:  wheels.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  100.2 KB
    Early 911S Registry Member #3767

Current:
    2010 GT3 Meteor Grey, Carbon Seats and Ceramic Brakes
    1968 911T Targa, Polo Red, Recaro Sport Seats, Deep Fuchs
    1972 911 ST Recreation (Work in Progress) 3.4L Hot Rod
    1983 911SC Bone Stock. Grand Prix White with Sport Seats

Mr. Anderson, first off, I’m SO sorry to hear of your wife’s diagnosis. My prayer is that the Dr.’s will be able to eradicate it with minimal side effects to your lovely bride.

As far as your car is concerned, my thoughts are that a ‘68 with an known rear glass window (on the COA & Kardex?) ‘may be’ rarer than a softie. I believe in ‘68 the hard back window had to be special ordered. I think softies are cool AND presently bringing a premium. With that, I’d try and find the correct glass and in lieu of that find as early one as you can and install that with the proper disclosure. If your car was a US delivered car with glass I’d assume you have rear seats instead of the rear seat delete ($$$to find) and the Targa Bar had the trim pieces and hoops on the interior padding + all the handles and hoops. Not a cheap proposition to convert. Just my .02 I’m sure those with far more knowledge will chime in. Best of luck to your wife and you.

P.S. You certainly chose the right shops to assist in the reconditioning of your parts!
    Reg#2218

Banned
    Oh gosh, so sorry.

Will be praying for your wife, you, and your family.

Coming from all the same for my '67. Problem for you is that a '68 is probably only worth 1/2 what a '67 is worth. Guessing what you spent already, probably getting close to break even, but at least you recoup your money invested. I think Maverick on this site has been trying to sell one for almost 2 years but I believe its a soft window. Another one was listed back in September of 2017 for $140,000.0. If you are like me you have already seen those. The vertical wire hard window is what will set you apart from the '68 soft windows. Maybe look for a 912 with the correct window. Put a soft window in the 912 and you can probably get what you paid for it plus the cost of the soft window. That would at least free up correct glass window. Probably already thought of that. I say you need to find the hard glass window, or take a $10,000.00 downgrade. Seems odd to say that.

In any event just went through breast cancer with my wife. Kinda know what you going through there. Perhaps assemble the soft window components, and sell the car as a project to be completed. Let the buyer continue the search or opt to install the soft window. Best wishes for a safe return to health for your wife and GLWS.

PS There is a guy on the 912 board about to sell a '68 targa that he has owned long term. No affiliation
    Last edited by doigthom; 06-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
    My heart goes out to you doinghom and your wife.
    I don't know how people get through difficult times with out leaning on the good Lord and Friends and family.

My COA & Kardex does show a Tinted Heated Rear window. I had not thought of buying a 912 and swapping the windows. That could be a good possibility.
    The good news is am not being financially forced to sell it, but more a strategy of simplifying my life at the moment once its completed.

My car being a 911T was only a Euro delivery. None were sold to the USA to my knowledge. It had the Euro turn signals and tail lights and a Euro radio and no side markers.
    Its been hard to gather a value on it since none were shipped to the US. The Excellence price guide or any other price guide for that matter do not list this model.
    I'm guessing its close to a 911 Normal or 911L.

Please keep the ideas coming and an eye out for a 1968 Vertical rear window.

Current:

Clear or tinted on the window? There are a few guys I’d contact but I’m thinking these are very hard to come by. Haven’t seen one come avail in years. I also had an ‘68L, but it was a softie. A service member (May God bless those people!) brought it over. Sold it a couple of years ago and the buyer took it back to Germany. Let me know if I can help. Where in NorCal are you? I’m presently in Rocklin visiting kids/g’kids.
    Reg#2218

Sorry. Jumped too quickly. Guy on the 912 BBS is a soft window. Right idea, wrong car.

Could have been mine if it was a Bahama Yellow tub with all matching parts, but apart! Actually sold it last week to a gent in Canada.
    Reg#2218

Hi nvr2mny, I am in Shingle Springs about 35 Min From Rocklin. In fact I lived in Rocklin for 5 Years.

I am looking for a Tinted Heated Rear window (per the COA).

Current:

Your 68 911T is NOT worth half of what a 67 is worth. What makes a 68 car worth less than a 67 is for USA bound cars, they had bad stuff like smog equipment that made the cars back fire at times. Also after the first 300 cars produced they lost the aluminum engine case that 67's had.Most people did not like the side reflectors that looked like a last minute fix because of DOT requirements for all 68 cars in the USA. Your 68 911T was not imported to the USA so If it was an early production car; it had none of these bad items and should be worth as much as any 67 911. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue