Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

It might be a swirl tank used to make sure that the fuel pumps always have fuel under hard cornering, heavy decel Maybe?

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Guys, can I ask you to maybe start a separate topic for it or do this via messages?
    I'd like to keep this topic purely for things/parts related to replicating a works 2.8RSR as best as possible.
    thanks!
    Of course. But there is a connection with the car you are replicating.

As you know, 911 360 0588 was project R6, and according to the Carrera RS book, the project designation was written on the rear side window or the rear window, with sticky tape.
    In the same book, there is a clear photo of the E40 (911 230 0769) during a ducktail test, and you can see "E40 EVFF" on the left corner of the rear window. It seems to be made with the same kind of Dymo as discussed here.
    Also, on the part about the 1973 1000 km of Monza, you can see the same kind of marking, at the same place, on either R6 or R8.

The question is, was it still there during the Targa Florio, and if it was what exactly was written?
    I mean, R6 obviously, but certainly something else after.

"H21" is a 1987 928 convertible prototype, so it seems that they are really consistent, those Germans

Name:  5c5c07277ebe9905f29f18df_37-R6-Martini-Racing-Porsche-Carrera-RSR-maxted-page.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  59.9 KB

I think that this one is upside down, because the goal was to read from the outside of the car.
    "R6 EVFV" then...

I think that this last one of R6 was "at the Targa" not at Monza (and I also think the photo is a modern one - maybe of the car now - as I have never seen a photo like that from the targa and I think that all of the Dymo tape at the time were light blue not the grey colour that this one appears to be)

At Monza both R6 and R8 had decals for Dunlop and above that Bilstein on rear quarter panels next to that ad hoc tail piece with the tail piece covering a part of the Dunlop but not the Bilstein

At the Targa car #8 (R6) has a SHELL decal above the Dunlop covering the painted on Bilstein one and slightly covering the tape holding down the edge of the tail

see this photo that also shows the Dymo tape ID that was on ALL werks cars from the 60's onwards
    by the way "E 40" translates to E series - ie 1972 model year - and 40th werks car on the asset list for that year. I think this numbering system covered all press cars, versuch cars and possibly family / management cars etc but the R series cars (not only 1973 but in earlier years) were numbered R instead of their model year descriptor for some (unknown to me) reason. car #107 in the race at the targa (RS 0002 and ex ST 230 0841) was E42 for example and RSH 360 0508 was F23. The F23 numbering shows that they were not all visible - its number is on the inside of the door - see photo - as was R5's (as well as being on rear window)

Name:  R6 targa.png
Views: 664
Size:  504.2 KBName:  F23.png
Views: 814
Size:  842.4 KBName:  R5.png
Views: 832
Size:  227.5 KB
    Last edited by HughH; 05-19-2020 at 05:49 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I agree with you, Hugh, I have only seen blue examples of those Dymo tapes.
    Any idea of their size (19 or 24 mm)?

@928cs: Yes, you're right. And thanks for your contribution.
    I was convinced the tape on R6's rear window was same size as the dash Dymo labels, because of the (indeed as Hugh indicated, recent) picture of the restored R6 one, as well as the picture I took in the museum in 2007 of the #9 (rebadged: 911.360.0020) car that had the "R6 EVFV" decal on the rear window.

We know both the Maxted-Page restoration of R6 as the Museum restoration of 0020 made some mistakes, so I agree with you and Hugh the historic pictures are the ones to go by.
    Not a lot of rear-side pictures of R6 at the Targa, but this one - although not detailed enough - does seem to back up Hugh's suggestion the label was at least not black.
    I'll keep digging, because if it was a blue label, chances are the size is indeed like Hugh's examples of R5 and F23, which is larger than the dash ones.

Name:  TF-targa-florio 1973 porsche 911 n.8 (5).jpg
Views: 657
Size:  74.0 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Another update re: labels.

The car at the Targa had a rectangular sticker on the right hand side front window, which was to indicate the car was an approved entry for the 57th Targa.
    A lot of pictures, including the restoration of R6 did show this sticker, but again not in great detail.
    However, when digging through over a 1,000 pages (!) of Targa Florio stories & pictures, I found this:

Name:  verifica.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  17.7 KBName:  TF-48.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  100.8 KB

Trying to find comparable fonts, I think I'll manage to re-create it quite closely.

Funny, these flyers were apparently handed out to the public at the days before the Targa in 1973:
    Name:  Scan20033.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  119.3 KB
    It translates roughly to:
    "Dear citizens, please refrain from throwing paper and fruit on the road, you could cause serious accidents".

Different times, eh?
    Last edited by patrick911; 05-19-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

and Patrick, if R5 is anything to go by, I think there should be a simple Dymo "R6" in the LHD door at the same place as the R5 and F23 in my pictures. I have also seen the same label in the same position on the door in period pictures of werks ST's such as E27 (one of the 1972 Monte Carlo cars)

does anyone know what the letters after R6 or the other ones on the window label might stand for?? They don't all appear to be the same. E40 had EVFF
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    (...) does anyone know what the letters after R6 or the other ones on the window label might stand for?? They don't all appear to be the same. E40 had EVFF
    Thanks Hugh!

The question is, what's the use of a sticker there?
    If I try to place myself in the team's shoes, in the day, with all of the rapid changes going on, I'd say I'd like a way to quickly identify what car is which?
    For example what modifications, or what group (group-3, 4, 5/proto's) the car is set up for.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

yes I think to identify which car is which (on the rear screen which is less likely to be damaged) But I don't know about the other part (the extra letters) and anyway the R cars went from one class to another a couple of times during the year and I dont think that label changed so I dont think it is about the specs may be some other internal thing as simple as who is responsible for it

the inside the door label will be just to keep track of all the cars on the asset register - just like any corporate does - a lot easier than with a vin number or trying to look at the vin number
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776