Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Name:  C20C5412-8834-4BE1-ACC0-4192479ADCF2.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  101.0 KB
    Another of the great days

Slow progress, moving from one covid lockdown to the next sure isn't helping.
    Anyway, the car is fully sanded now, ready for paint, fuel sender hole now placed in the fuel cell and the remaining bits have to do with the holes in the hood, the balsa wood strips and the fuel filler pipes.
    The dog-bowls (not sure what to call them) that surround the fuel fillers and collect spillage, which a friend made out of aluminum, are found to be too deep, so they need to be re-made to fit.
    that's what you get if everything is bespoke i guess
    Positioning of the holes in the hood at least looks spot on, so I am pretty happy with that.

Name:  IMG_5447.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-07-29 134228.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  52.8 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Seam-sealed the underside and covered it in grandprix white, whilst we're finalising the fuel filler solution in parallel.
    To be correct I sourced two NOS dry-breaks a while back, but they will not be that easy to use at the pump, so we had to come up with something that's both user-friendly and safe.
    I think we've got something so more on that soon.

Name:  IMG_5640.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  73.2 KB

Something else, An interior picture of the restored Martini RSR (R6) car had been bothering me, as it showed a detail that I wasn't sure off.
    The restored car has a red so-called 'idiot-light' or 'control-light between the tacho and the speedometer, like the 917 and later 935s had.

Name:  42.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  62.7 KB
    Picture sourced from Maxted-Page website

According to Elevenparts, who's selling these lights, the red one was for the alternator, but I wondered if R6 would have it at the Targa Florio, or if this, like a few other details on the restored car, was a remnant of additions made later in its racing career.
    Hugh, our resident expert, came to the rescue once again, as he pointed me to a period interior picture that shows that the car did not have that light, saving us the effort of creating a hole for it in the dash and adding to the wiring loom.
    based on the steering wheel (no hub) and the 2nd picture, we can confirm this was R6 at the targa.
    And as sometimes happens with those pictures, it also confirmed that the car's number '8' was put on as a sticker, which makes sense seeing the cars would get different numbers throughout the season.

Name:  thumbnail_image002.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  thumbnail_image006.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  92.8 KB

progress is slower and there's not much I can do myself on the car unfortunately as we're still in lockdown here in Melbourne, but all-in-all we're on the right track.
    Last edited by patrick911; 09-20-2021 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added Maxted-Page picture of R6
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Some cars had also a Hella back light instead of the clock for oil pressure warning....

If you really like to be period correct, don't follow the copy, of the copy, of the copy. Even Porsche Museum is doing this today.
    If you are not sure, don't drill a hole ;-)

it is a ton of extra time to build correctly. i find it personally rewarding and have a desire to see it.... keep up the good work and kudos to thoese that pitch in with information
    all to often it happens that ....for instance ... auto international puts a horizontal pleat in the lower seat cushion of comfort seats and that becomes "correct"

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Wow, this is a VERY cool build & thread. Clearly I don’t scan this forum enough as I’ve only just stumbled across this thread this morning - and have now read from the “first” to the “last” post.
    Excellent project, Patrick911! Look forward to the updates!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

going back to post #133 on page 14

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Ok, so here is the answer:
    - We were right that this is the car's internal designation, followed by the department that uses it.
    - Sadly, my contact doesn't know the meaning of the department's abbreviations.
    A bit late but I just ran into an article that was written last year about R2 that was called "Entwicklung, Versuch, Fahrversuch", which roughly translates as 'development, trial, driving test'.
    Abbreviation "EVF".
    Both R2 and R6 had this on the rear window: "R2 EVFV" or "R6 EVFV" where the last V maybe an indication (in roman) this was group5 - as in prototypes?
    or maybe that last "FV" stands for "FahrVerzuch"?
    https://www.scribd.com/article/48765...ch-Fahrversuch
    Last edited by patrick911; 09-26-2021 at 09:14 PM. Reason: jumping topics - provided reference
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

I don't believe in the V for Group V designation but FahrVersuch could be the right explanation.

yes I agree
    I think it is more like Entwicklung, Versuch, FahrVersuch

but a great find in any case
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776