Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Some good news to finish my week: we've finally found the colors that we think are correct for the Martini striping, and we finished the last bits of the bodywork, now the hood, with fuel-covers and glassed-in balsa wood strips, is complete.
    A bit of disappointment though to hear, after 6 months, that the guy that was going to make me a custom replica 917 tacho, now says he can't.
    Anyway, I think I can do this myself so let's see what happens.

Name:  IMG_4214-B.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  80.1 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Impressive work, as usual

Indeed, the detail is very cool

In one of the earlier posts there's a picture of the lifted rear of one of the factory Martini RSRs and it's clear to see they were not fitted with a muffler with dual exhaust pipes (as other RSRs were). I always thought the factory cars were fitted with megaphones connected straight to the (non heatexchanger) race-headers, but on the picture it looks as if there's a muffler/silencer of some sorts (is it?) between the headers and the megaphones.
    Does anyone have more information or has anyone seen this before?

Sister RSR at Lemans in 1973:

Reason I'm asking is that I will drive the car on the road so megaphones would normally not be an option, but I see that Bursch offer megaphones with a silencing option that bolt onto racing headers.
    That looks like a better compromise than buying a stock muffler and welding two exhaust pipes on. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by patrick911; 06-27-2022 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added background to the posting
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    In one of the earlier posts there's a picture of the lifted rear of one of the factory Martini RSRs and it's clear to see they were not fitted with a muffler with dual exhaust pipes (as other RSRs were). I always thought the factory cars were fitted with megaphones connected straight to the (non heatexchanger) race-headers, but on the picture it looks as if there's a muffler/silencer of some sorts (is it?) between the headers and the megaphones.
    Does anyone have more information or has anyone seen this before?

Sister RSR at Lemans in 1973:

Reason I'm asking is that I will drive the car on the road so megaphones would normally not be an option, but I see that Bursch offer megaphones with a silencing option that bolt onto racing headers.
    That looks like a better compromise than buying a stock muffler and welding two exhaust pipes on. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I would say fit a factory rally design with Outlet 3 pipes and two blanks,thinking that you will want the correct bhp of it.Unless it’s properly designed for your engine to get the best bhp,most systems suck power and factory did know best as in header Diameter size and length,shape of megaphones etc.speak to schafer in germany.

Another thing i only now noticed and I hope someone here knows more about.

The restored R6 shows these corner pieces on the quarter windows, and these already appear for the Martini car in period.
    Then when searching I noticed that pretty much each RSR seems to have this, whereas other 1973 cars (like my yellow T) don't have this.
    Anyone know what it is and what it is for? Is it because of the thinner glaverbell glass maybe?
    Name:  31 - Copy.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  73.3 KB
    Name:  275619593_4374060636026912_1797808564307869189_n.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  92.1 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

It looks like the metal frame is a different profile as well as it looks more rounded than the std frames?
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

post 256 is a fixed window, the profile of the trim is the same as the windshield, and rear window. later on fixed trim was offered in the flat style, 73 trim is hard to find.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Also used on the 72/73 RS M471's

Cees

Window trim

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Also used on the 72/73 RS M471's

Cees
    As said used on lwt and rsr,try robert Gross for some,also there is a bracket under the rubber on the b post unique to these cars also.