Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Gees I hope yours never finishes up like that last pic Patrick.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Oh man, if only I had the funds to do something crazy like that, how awesome would that be?
    I could re-create this famous picture (once my build finally finished that is)

Name:  TF-Senza-titolo-1.jpg181..jpg
Views: 349
Size:  17.7 KB

Interested to see what something like that would go for. It's definitely rare and special, and looks really well executed.
    Last edited by patrick911; 05-30-2023 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fixed picture
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Go for it Patrick
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Patrick, your build is fantastic! Great attention to all the details.
    72S, 72T now ST

To date the focus has been all about the bodywork, but what about the engine?
    I dropped off my engine months ago, and last week I received a phone call that my guy had taken the engine apart to have a closer look at what we have to work with.
    My donor car was a 1976 911S so the original engine was a 2.7 CIS that I want to turn into a 2.8 twin plug engine.
    The magnesium case was a bit of a risk as these tend to get brittle and deteriorate over time. Many have advised me to go for a later alu case instead, but that would not be accurate imo.
    *** I know that the engine actually changed from a 2.8 into a 3.0 just before the Targa Florio, but this was getting to the limit of what the case could handle, and after a few failures the factory quickly changed to alu cases for the remainder of that season. ***
    As I'm not planning to race the engine, I want to stick with what R6 started the '73 season with: a magnesium 2.8 twin plug engine with high butterflies.

The good news was that the engine apparently was low mileage, as there was no visible damage, not even any pulled headstuds. It even looked as if the case was never taken apart in 47 years.
    So we're planning to re-use the case and crankshaft, and maybe machine the existing heads,
    but will use the RSR cams and cam-housings I bought, get new (Mahle) pistons and cylinders, new conrods, new rockers, springs, valves, twin plug Magneti distributor, the NOS RSR high butterfly setup I bought a few years ago from another forum member here, and the (re-worked) MFI pump I bought of Clyde. Exciting times ahead!
    Name:  UVJA7237 - BW.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  107.7 KB

Btw: does anyone know if the 2.8RSRs had hard injection fuel lines from the factory or flexible ones?
    I see both in pictures, but seem to find in the documentation they came out of the factory with hard lines... Can someone confirm?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

The customer 2.8s had hard lines. The 3.0s had soft lines.

This always has to have an *asterisk* as Porsche was a small company which meant the race shops used what was available; including, from other non 911 parts bins (906, 910, 908, 917 parts if they could do the job). Further cars like those you are replicating were under constant development so there was a lot of 3.0. Even customer cars: factory favorites and those with $ or connections in the parts department got what they wanted. There were no guarantees that your replacement engine would be exactly the same spec as your original.

So: metal lines. But someone will come up with a picture making me a liar!

The only original 2.8 I have seen had hard lines at that time didn’t see it on day 1 though
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks guys, sounds like hard lines are the way to go.

Do you think that weight-saving or safety (or both) may have been a reason to move to flexible lines? I can imagine, these racing cars being very stiff on their suspension, there's a higher risk of things rattling loose?
    I see that Maxted-Page went for hard lines on their restoration of R6, but I'll try to find a period picture of an factory Martini car engine bay first.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Lightbulb

Here's the virtually 'unused' RSR #1008 in '2006 (yep, the one that burnt up) ... Hard lines
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter