Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    As said used on lwt and rsr,try robert Gross for some,also there is a bracket under the rubber on the b post unique to these cars also.
    Yes I have corner keys and mouldings if your interested but they are raw and will need bright dip anodizing.
    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Awesome - the power of this forum shows again!
    Thanks all for your responses and support!
    Robert, message sent
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Awesome - the power of this forum shows again!
    Thanks all for your responses and support!
    Robert, message sent
    Keep it all in the inner circle

Things are moving, again, finally.

We sealed the front trunk and painted it grand-prix white and yesterday I was finally able to spend some time on the car again myself; It had been months with work and other things getting in the way.
    And whilst we're waiting for a timeslot in the painters' busy schedule, we've started with building up the car where possible.
    First item on the list was the wiring harness and earth cable that have to go through the tunnel.
    I remember getting so frustrated when taking the donor car apart that I cut the old harness, thinking for a build like this I wanted brand new connections, and not worrying about 40+ year old wires.
    But, getting the wiring through and in the right spot was a huge pain. Cost us the whole day just to get those cables through and fitted and do the front wiring correctly.

Anyway, super glad that is in now and kudos to Kroon who supplied the cables; the length, colors used and connectors are all fantastic. You can almost see where the connectors have to go just by the length of the individual parts: Amazing stuff.
    I know they're not cheap, but at moments like this it does pay off as you get what you pay for.
    Having said that, there are a few things I still need to fix. With the changed battery location I'll have to drill a hole to lead the earth cable from the interior into the smugglers box, and the standard wiring loom has two battery cables that also need re-directing.
    Then there's the two Mercedes/Bosch fuel pumps left and right that need a power connection, Just like I need to ensure the external & internal cut-offs interrupt everything, including the fuel pumps.

Name:  IMG_6373.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  72.8 KBName:  IMG_6374.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6388.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  116.9 KBName:  IMG_6381.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6389.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  116.4 KB

rollover-bars and brake-lines, handbrake, battery mount, etc., will all be next, as well as painting and putting together the (damaged during fitting a while ago) pedal assembly box.
    Progress!

@Robert (glaverbel911): I did leave you a message re the rear-quarter trim, not sure if you've had a chance to see it yet, but I am interested!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

it is becoming a car
    i can relate
    i am almost ready to install my wiring loom

The 1976 donor car had the two high & low 'Stritone' Mixo red trumpet horns that have the same numbers and text as the ones Clyde describes in his topic and that as per other topics are correct for a mid to late 1973 car.
    I read elsewhere here that the RS may have had a 'KLAXON' variant that otherwise look exactly the same, but it looks as if that was unconfirmed.

Anyway, the horns I have worked when I took the donor apart and it looks as if I can restore them to make them look nicer and then fit on the RSR replica.
    However, the (works) RSR's had no battery boxes, and that's where these horns normally mount to (with the brackets that Clyde sold/sells).

Does anyone have a picture of, or know how these horns were fitted on the 1973 RSR?
    thanks.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

With some degreaser and a lot of effort I think I managed to get the horns cleaned up quite nicely.
    Another few little items done as can be seen in the picture, but I'm not happy with the cut-off cabling; I think the size I used is too small for the amount of current that will go through them, so I'll do those over.
    Managed to modify the coil bracket to use for the fuel pumps, painted the CDI mounting bracket and the pedal cluster (again) and worked out the wiring for the instruments - I think.

Name:  IMG_6431.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  181.1 KB

Seeing my donor-car was a 1976 model year car, it looks as if the holes on the engine side of the tunnel are slightly different.
    Can someone confirm this is correct?

Name:  tunnel-holes 1973.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  74.3 KB

Car is scheduled in for paint so hopefully some pictures of a silver car coming up soon.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Good progress Patrick! Just wondered if the RSR (M491) used only one horn as the M471 car also had only one mounted.

Groeten,
    Cees

Yes, I read in some other topics here that the RSH (472) & RSR (M491) both had the single new (at the time) Bosch Klaxon Stritone variant fitted, but they seem near impossible to get.
    I'll keep on searching - and if anyone here reading has one.... - but I may need to fit the standard 2 (low & high) horns instead. I can always claim that Porsche - like they really did back in the day - ran out of them.

btw: I took that picture above in post 267 when I cleaned only the red plastic part of one of the two horns.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    This Klaxon? https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ne-red-trumpet
    Question is did M471/491 come with only the low or high tone?

cees