Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Yes, I figured if I stick to exactly what the RSRs used (wheels including offset, brakes, hubs & suspension parts) I should be OK with fitment, but I'll only find out once I bolt everything together.
    Glad to hear you're backing that up with experience data though.

The same question re: "why use torsions at all?" was asked by ER. I'm just copying exactly what the factory did, as per the Targa entry note in post #177 which lists both torsion bars & coilovers.
    Not sure why the factory did it, maybe to allow easier switch between the standard race category and prototype?, or maybe because they decided only a couple of weeks before the Targa to run the works entries in the prototype category, meaning they didn't have sufficient experience with running only coilovers?
    Or maybe the forces/loading on that part of the chassis was considered too much? Or all of the above, who knows?

It would be interesting to find out... but if Jurgen Barth didn't even mention to the owners of the real R6 two years ago at the Goodwood Porsche meet, or Gijs at last year's reunion with R6 in Sicily that the car should have coilovers, i'm not holding my breath.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Why are you using those spring plates, not very true to original. Any minor ride or weight differences can be made up with coil overs.

You mean the quickchange system compared to where normally there’s the two bolts?
    I didn’t notice it was different when i added them to the list to be honest.
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-14-2020 at 11:13 PM.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Why did the RSR had both torsion bars and coil springs.

As far as I remember, torsion bars had been homologated, the coil springs had only an additional function and was only homologated as such.
    Since both springs are operating in parallel, the cummulated spring rate is much higher as from a single 26mm torsion bar. Would be great to know how much it would be, recalculated to a single torsion bar....

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Yes, I figured if I stick to exactly what the RSRs used (wheels including offset, brakes, hubs & suspension parts) I should be OK with fitment, but I'll only find out once I bolt everything together.
    Glad to hear you're backing that up with experience data though.

The same question re: "why use torsions at all?" was asked by ER. I'm just copying exactly what the factory did, as per the Targa entry note in post #177 which lists both torsion bars & coilovers.
    Not sure why the factory did it, maybe to allow easier switch between the standard race category and prototype?, or maybe because they decided only a couple of weeks before the Targa to run the works entries in the prototype category, meaning they didn't have sufficient experience with running only coilovers?
    Or maybe the forces/loading on that part of the chassis was considered too much? Or all of the above, who knows?

It would be interesting to find out... but if Jurgen Barth didn't even mention to the owners of the real R6 two years ago at the Goodwood Porsche meet, or Gijs at last year's reunion with R6 in Sicily that the car should have coilovers, i'm not holding my breath.
    IIRC Jürgen Barth mentioned this once in an interview that running both at the same time was a mishap

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I was referring to gold zinc plated adjustable spring plates, don’t know what else to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    IIRC Jürgen Barth mentioned this once in an interview that running both at the same time was a mishap
    Do you have more info on that? where i can find that interview or what exactly he said why it wasn't a success?
    I agree with 'MPST' that the coil springs only had an additional function and hence needing to act together with the torsion bars as that was what was homologated.
    I have no idea about the ideal or required settings to operate both, but Erik at Elephant Racing did adjust the valving of the Bilsteins and changed the selection of springs when I mentioned it needed to run both.
    This is what I ended up with:
    - Front Bilstein shock with 220/100 valving, torsion bar 19mm, 9x2.25 200lb coil spring + 2.5x6 helper spring
    - Rear Bilsteins shock with 180/170 valving, rear 26mm torsion, 8x2.25 150lb coil spring + 2.5x6 helper spring.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

I would think the torsion bars were only just located to comply and not active,no point really having bars and springs especially on a street circuit.
    The spring plates are nothing like legal for fia regs and not period, again not really required if running coil springs,standard practice was elongating the toe and camber ecentrics to get the settings correct on a lowered car than standard.

It's a bit off-topic really, but since not much can happen due to covid still, and I mentioned Gijs' helmet in post #83, I wanted to share how my modern Bell helmet tribute turned out.
    It's just a gimmick, and not even that close of a copy as these modern helmets are not just round, but i do like the way it came out and a nice touch if the car is finished and taken to a track one day.
    Name:  IMG_4785.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_4784.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  95.6 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Cool. But I would have wait until the car was nearly finished