Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

I'm six years into the journey - I hope I'm at least over the halfway point...
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Things have started to move again, now Victoria has come out of lockdown and we are (for now at least) Corona free.

I have gone through the parts-manual and made a list of all other parts I need for the suspension (bolts, washers, bearings, etc), then looked at what I could re-use from the 76S donor by using a mate's sandblaster. The rest was ordered from Pelican and I also managed to score the 300mm cross-drilled discs.
    This now allowed me to measure the fitment of wheelhub (reused of the 76S), the Zuffenhaus caliper, discs, hats & rings, and the 9" wheel.
    As I have used exactly the same dimensions/offsets everywhere as the factory did, things should fit, but it does look as if they used a spacer after all, only a few mm, but the fins of the caliper are touching the wheel spoke.
    Looks too pretty to sit behind the wheel, if I'm honest...

We also fitted the fuel cell into the chassis and apart from a few mm front and back that we had to cut of the lip, the thing fits perfectly.
    The standard 3 brackets used to keep a standard fuel cell in place can even be re-used for the fuel cell. Great job Porsche engineers and hats off to you too Kevin Jeanette for the housing!
    Next job is to cut the pipes to make the filler neck and to find a neat way to put the (NOS) dry-brakes on, in such a way that I can still refuel the car at a petrol station.
    Btw: the way the bladder sits in the housing is as per the green RSR (chassis 0894) rather than the Martini car, as I think they did a nicer job than the way R6 was done (using brackets to keep the bladder connected to the housing).

Dry fitting wheel/brakes:

Fuel cell in car:

R6 implementation (Pic from Maxted-Page website):
    Name:  28.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  74.5 KB

0894 front bay:
    Name:  IMG_7993.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  201.2 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Hi Patrick,

I'm up to date now.....so how are you getting along?

Cheers,

Hi Darren, just read your update; you're making great progress - even though the actual work on the car is impacted.

We've been impacted last year when we had the 2 months hard lockdown, but the current lack of progress is because the workshop has a lot of priority stuff to do, and mine is down to the last few bits on the to-do list; And they're always the hardest.
    I noticed the little brackets for the fuse panels on the left hand inner guard - that any '73 car has - were missing on mine, as its basis is a 1976 chassis, so I had to fabricate those.
    Other things that needed fabrication were the brackets for the Mercedes fuel pumps (L + R) and the dog-bowls around the fuel fillers. they needed to be made with the filler necks, before we can finalise & fit the hood.
    The hood needs to two little lids made to cover the dual fillers, as well as the balsa wood strips glued in on the inside for extra strength. nothing too complicated, but it all takes time.
    We're still hoping we can start painting the car next month. I'm obviously very much looking forward to that!

Name:  IMG_4923.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  114.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4974.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4977.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  101.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_5122.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  71.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5123.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  81.3 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

All looking sweet Patrick, can't wait to see the car in paint

getting ever closer to paint now. Fuel pump brackets & hole for the oil lines done, one last G-series detail found & fixed.
    Last masking & priming session now underway; outside, front compartment & engine bay done, next we'll put it back on the rotisserie to prime the underside before it will get it's white paint coat.
    I love the way these widened arches look now it's smooth and wet-sanded.
    Name:  IMG_5162.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  77.6 KBName:  IMG_5162b.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_5164.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  84.5 KBName:  IMG_5178.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_5181.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  111.6 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Question for paint experts:
    My research shows that the original Martini works cars were delivered in 'Grandprix white' originally, before only the outside [underside excepted] was painted in single stage silver (6206 silver metallic).
    Being a 1973 car, the front compartment, interior, engine bay and underside should all be white.
    and then the dashboard, including the vertical part of the footwell area, inside door outer edges, rollover bar mounting points, seat brackets, area around handbrake & shift area, rear seats pivot point, should all be satin black with the typical messy overspray, is that correct?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Shell looks delicious Patrick

Progress is frustratingly slow.
    The workshop I have the car at is being relocated, a couple of customers jumped the queue and I suspect the remaining jobs (wet-sanding/rubbing the car to prepare for paint) is not really the best of jobs, leading to I suspect a bit of procrastination.
    Anyway, the front compartment is ready, I did the engine bay last Friday and the interior is fully done.
    So all that remains is putting it on the rotisserie again, wet-sand the underside and paint (underside first) in Grandprix white.
    then the hood still needs to be completed (adding the balsa strips, position & cut the holes for the fuel fillers, create & fix the covers) before it's all ready.
    Can't wait to see it in paint....
    Name:  IMG_5345.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_5344.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  80.9 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

This must be really frustrating, but at least the situation gives you the opportunity to work on the others parts of the car.
    You will have a giant puzzle once the body will be painted