Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    I don't believe in the V for Group V designation but FahrVersuch could be the right explanation.
    Agree; A roman 5 is not very consistent as there's a '2' in R2 and not RII and if anything, (I know, I am generalizing a bit here) German engineers are fairly consistent in my experience

Elsewhere I've asked for what is correct for a works RSR in the footwell/firewall area: satin black or body-color and I know that's been an often disputed topic.
    Most seem to agree that the full vertical part should be black with a little overspray over the seam on the bottom. R7 on the other hand seems white in most of the footwell so what's correct?
    Not sure if we'll ever find out, as most cars by now have been restored (maybe even a few times) but I decided on following what most have done: doing the vertical bits in satin black.
    So not 100% if correct, but white will shine through where RSH carpet and rubber mats (front, as per RSH) meet and I think that would bother me.

Ordered the carpet and mats from 'Cartex' in Germany, as a few other topics here seem to recommend them highly for accuracy. Looking forward to receiving them in the next few weeks, but also a bit cautious, as the webshop didn't work and the order was all handled via email in German....

Cabin will be painted this week hopefully, so fingers crossed we can keep the progress going.
    Last edited by patrick911; 09-27-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: changed sentence because of mistake
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

The carpet I ordered still sits at the Cologne airport unfortunately, but there's a bit of progress elsewhere.
    I measured the size of the various sponsor decals (Bosch, Shell & Dunlop) and looked for them online. 'IsayDingDong' has a good selection and are quite cheap, but ofcourse the sizes of the decals on R6 differed.
    They do custom sizes so that was not the issue, but a more detailed look showed that their SHELL font and spacing were off, and that the actual spark in the Bosch logo was different as well.
    So I looked for a local artist here in Australia to get me a few decals made. Not sure if Andrew is on this forum or not, but he's got some other interesting Porsche related stuff so have a look; he does great work.

In the picture you can clearly spot the differences, from the curves and thinner outside line in the Bosch logo, the font for the Shell logo and obviously the bigger size.
    I added a reference picture of the restored R6, and although we know that it should not be used as the absolute reference for how the car looked back then, it does match with the large amount of period pictures I have, but which are all not big/detailed enough.

The interior has all been prepared, cleaned & masked, so will be painted next.
    We're still in lockdown here (longest one in the world unfortunately) so I still haven't been able to bring my engine block over and have work on that part started. Hopefully that can start next month.

Name:  IMG_5655.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  75.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_5667.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  90.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_5674.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  DiEVXmzWsAYaA8R.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  97.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_5677.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  90.6 KB
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Interior covered in grandprix white, whilst the next step next week will be to get the dash covered in satin black.
    It's extra shiny because it was still wet when the pictures were taken.
    Name:  IMG_5694.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  73.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_5703.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  76.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_5704.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  83.3 KB

Too bad you won't see any of this once the carpet is in....
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Keep the good work

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Nice … love the seatbelt anchors on the rear parcel tray & the welded in dead pedal. The devil is in the details!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Looks nice "extra" shiny.
    What a gorgeous car.
    Well done.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Anything new to share?

Hi, unfortunately things are moving real slow. The workshop had a few people sick for a while and then something came in that had to be prioritised.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I found someone who's making a replica of the 910/917 100mm 10K rev counter. Did a google search and found a picture of the exact thing I am looking for, only to find a Porsche Instrument maker just on the other side of Melbourne. Amazing. When emailing I found out he'd also been involved with Maxted-Page on their recent R6 restoration, so quite a lucky find as, like I found with a lot of these old-school experts with a certain specific skill-set, I needed to get him interested to do the job as they don't need to do these things for the money. He's waiting on a few parts to come in, but hopefully in January I will have something to show here.

I still need to decide where I'm bringing the engine to get it up to RSR spec, and decide on what exactly I want to do there. I've been looking at RSR cams being offered here and on ebay, but from searching online it looks like that may be something that makes the car near undriveable on the road. So maybe I need to make a plan first on what I want to compromise on to make it close to an RSR, but maybe not quite as peaky in power delivery, not quite as high in power output and as high revving.
    And first I need to get confirmed if the base mag case is OK to use.

On the chassis there's not much news. The ducktail needed a bit of work as some of the GRP was damaged, and this part, as well as the doors have now been painted as well.
    I'm still hoping to get the car painted in full in January, as I'm getting a bit frustrated with how long it all takes. Fingers crossed!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Slow progress but progress anyhow
    I hope that you will get a correct revcounter.
    About the engine, do you plan to race the car only or use it on the street?

The doors, ducktail and hood (outside only), have now been painted in Grandprix white, as have the front and rear GRP bumpers.
    We had to do a quick search to find what the inside of these bumpers looked like originally, and then painted those white too. We had to strengthen the rear bumper on two places as there were a few small microcracks.
    We're now in the process of completing the hood, where the balsa strips are being glued in, and the covers need to be fitted for the dry-breaks.

As you may have seen in the tech section, we also questioned what to do with the wheel arches.
    The M491/RSRs didn't have any Wurth underbody protection, so not in the wheel arches either, but the wide 11" rear tires will kick up quite a lot of stones so I do want some form of protection.
    I know, it deviates from the original, but in the end I do want to drive the car (road, not track), and not cringe every time I hear rocks hit the arches.
    Two options were looked at: using a neoprene rubber, glued to the wheel arches, or using the SKS underbody protection at least in the arches for the most hit areas.
    I decided on the latter, as, although less effective, it looks better, reduces the chance of trapped water (rust!) and is in line at least with what the factory did for the lightweight homologation RS (M471) cars.

Studying some other details I noticed that the '73/'74 RSR oil tank I saw advertised at Aase, EB-motorsport and other places is actually a '74 oil tank only.
    Some of the pictures on 'pbase' clearly show the tank used in the 1973 RSRs looks different than the later '74 variant.

1973 oil tank (pic from pbase):
    Name:  1973Porsche911RSROilTankPhoto01.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  64.6 KB

1974 oil tank (pic from EB-motorsport):
    Name:  1974_EBMotorsport_oiltank.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  485.5 KB

Does anyone know where I could find a real one or an accurate reproduction of the 1973 RSR tank?
    I may end up buying the '74 variant if I can't find a correct one, but since I want to keep this topic as a reference for correctness, I did want to bring it up here.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T