Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

If it matters to you Patrick, the car was painted with hood brackets already mounted, therefore, like the fender bolts, the bolts were body color painted. When you remove an original bracket they are not painted on the back side.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I never knew that, and I had to check my original paint 1973 911T to see if it was true. On my yellow car it is hard to see (with the brackets mounted) but it does indeed look like there's less paint on the parts you can't easily see (or reach).
    Good to know, thank you. I think we'll prime them (after we've taken the strut-holding bit off) and only paint the front side. The inside of the car is already painted so we'll have to simulate it.
    To be honest I think we're putting way more thinking into our paint-job than they did back then (especially for racing cars) so I'm sure we're going to go wrong (or have done already so) on more occasions.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

hello! I found this, I don't know if it has to do with this topic! But maybe someone who knows more about these cars is interesting to you!
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  51.0 KB
    "3 Original Farbnegative 1000-km-Rennen Nürburgring 1973"

https://auction.nicola-ac.de/catalog92/?page=551

Just a few pretty update pictures.
    I could bore everyone to death with how we determined the width of the bars and angles, etc., and my frustration that the historical pictures do not align with the restored R6, but it's the result that counts.
    We masked the red outline on the sides, which in hindsight may have been a silly thing to do, as it looks as if the red space is where they managed to 'fix' inconsistencies, back in the day.
    (like if a bar is 91mm wide on one side and 92 on the other, the blues remain 6 and 9mm each, so the red ends up either 19 or 20mm). Anyway, I'll guess we find out.
    We've masked the hood and roof now and can paint the light blue there, which will be the first time we can see how the two blues, red & white match with the silver compared to how we expected it to look.
    The doors will be next, before we move to what i expect will be the most difficult bit -> the ducktail.

Last edited by patrick911; 03-23-2023 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spaces inbetween pics
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Incredible work!

Antoine

Beautiful….
    Appreciate the dedicated efforts for “ the details “
    Keep progress photos coming.
    Also nice to hear your process and challenges
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Looks nice to me.

Nice to see the progress

Steve

Looking great - lots of patience
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Thanks all for the kind words. Hood and roof almost done, the templates we made for the roof had to be redone and slightly less tall (58mm iso 60mm) as the original R6 had bigger outside dark-blue lines - which we followed, but i based the initial template on the restored car, where all lines were equal. And there needs to be a 1mm or 2mm dark-blue gap between the text and the light blue to make it correct and 'pop'.
    So the 'Martini Racing' text will be added next week, after which we'll move on to the doors and ducktail.

Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T