Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: W: 1973 911t

Quote Originally Posted by kp.sfo View Post
    Happy 4th of July, y’all. Still on the hunt!
    More headroom in a Targa, and your old friend is back home again..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2463063

Happy 4th of July, y’all. Still on the hunt!
    No offense intended, but you've been looking for 2 years now, including a break or two. It might be time to loosen your search parameters. Maybe a car that's not as nice as you prefer, or other years, or increase your budget. Or a combination of those things. Because the longer you spend looking for the "ideal" car, the less likely it is that you will buy one. Prices have increased noticeably over the last 2 years. Don't let a pursuit of "great" stop you from buying "good".

I wanted a Porsche since before I got my driver's license. I didn't finally buy my first until just before my 55th birthday. Don't be me.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Arne is right. There are plenty of great driver level cars that have come up for sale with your specifications over the past 2 years. If you didn't jump on one of those, it's probably because of price, and the prices are going back up. Be realistic. I scored a bargain (or so I thought) when I bought my 1973 S in 2012, at the age of 48. It was 8 more years before I could drive it. And while I did save a lot of money in the manner I restored it as a shared responsibility with the craftsman who did a lot of the work, no amount of money can buy back lost time. Don't be me either.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Arne is right. There are plenty of great driver level cars that have come up for sale with your specifications over the past 2 years. If you didn't jump on one of those, it's probably because of price, and the prices are going back up. Be realistic. I scored a bargain (or so I thought) when I bought my 1973 S in 2012, at the age of 48. It was 8 more years before I could drive it. And while I did save a lot of money in the manner I restored it as a shared responsibility with the craftsman who did a lot of the work, no amount of money can buy back lost time. Don't be me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    No offense intended, but you've been looking for 2 years now, including a break or two. It might be time to loosen your search parameters. Maybe a car that's not as nice as you prefer, or other years, or increase your budget. Or a combination of those things. Because the longer you spend looking for the "ideal" car, the less likely it is that you will buy one. Prices have increased noticeably over the last 2 years. Don't let a pursuit of "great" stop you from buying "good".

I wanted a Porsche since before I got my driver's license. I didn't finally buy my first until just before my 55th birthday. Don't be me.
    Ugh, can’t argue with either one of you… Realistically, the ship might have sailed for me. I can’t justify spending the kind of money decent driver-level longhoods go for these days. I’ll continue to look casually but won’t keep my hopes up too high.
    Currently in between Porsches. Sold my 73.5T Targa, now suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms. Attending Rennsport Reunion VI didn't really help getting over it.

Past: '73.5T Targa, '12 991S Cab, '07 987

Ugh, can’t argue with either one of you… Realistically, the ship might have sailed for me. I can’t justify spending the kind of money decent driver-level longhoods go for these days. I’ll continue to look casually but won’t keep my hopes up too high.
    You're being too hard on yourself. I can't find the link, but recently a prominent longtime owner was remembered giving his best advice to another guy. That advice was to be ready to "Up...your Porsche hobby", or close to that. The interpretation being that the idea of frugal with respect to repairs, restoration, or the cars themselves, is the exact wrong path. He has a point when you look at the better cars, how they've stayed that way.. it was by paying generously for things to be done right. It almost seems like the cars were set up at the beginning to require financial thresholds, in order to enjoy them properly. I tend to agree that six figures for a car seems foreign, but once you UP and get past that, things will improve.

Hey bud, sorry to hear - don’t give up, there are still deals to be had. However, as others have mentioned, you most likely won’t have someone come strolling in here dropping said deal in your lap. Reach out to people, go to events and inquire. I’m sure you will find your car. Also check PCA’s classified section and thesamba. Even the classified section here had a good 1972 albert blue targa listed not too long ago (March 2021). I was in a similar situation as you looking for a 72/73 targa and ended up finding one eventually after persistently checking all the usual sites for months every day. I had to accept a few things not to my liking but that’s the world we live in right now with where the long hood market is today.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    You're being too hard on yourself. I can't find the link, but recently a prominent longtime owner was remembered giving his best advice to another guy. That advice was to be ready to "Up...your Porsche hobby", or close to that. The interpretation being that the idea of frugal with respect to repairs, restoration, or the cars themselves, is the exact wrong path. He has a point when you look at the better cars, how they've stayed that way.. it was by paying generously for things to be done right. It almost seems like the cars were set up at the beginning to require financial thresholds, in order to enjoy them properly. I tend to agree that six figures for a car seems foreign, but once you UP and get past that, things will improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    Hey bud, sorry to hear - don’t give up, there are still deals to be had. However, as others have mentioned, you most likely won’t have someone come strolling in here dropping said deal in your lap. Reach out to people, go to events and inquire. I’m sure you will find your car. Also check PCA’s classified section and thesamba. Even the classified section here had a good 1972 albert blue targa listed not too long ago (March 2021). I was in a similar situation as you looking for a 72/73 targa and ended up finding one eventually after persistently checking all the usual sites for months every day. I had to accept a few things not to my liking but that’s the world we live in right now with where the long hood market is today.
    Hey guys, really appreciate your comments, I sure hope you're right. I'll keep looking, and now that we're starting to see in-person events again, will certainly do those as well.
    Currently in between Porsches. Sold my 73.5T Targa, now suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms. Attending Rennsport Reunion VI didn't really help getting over it.

Past: '73.5T Targa, '12 991S Cab, '07 987

Hey guys, really appreciate your comments, I sure hope you're right. I'll keep looking, and now that we're starting to see in-person events again, will certainly do those as well.
    Have a client/friend just considering the sale of his original paint Leaf Green 73.5 coupe. Its a stellar original car - with all of the little bumps and bruises along the way that make it look and feel authentic. Haven't heard the price yet but can get you in contact with him if interested.
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC

Quote Originally Posted by cscrogham View Post
    Have a client/friend just considering the sale of his original paint Leaf Green 73.5 coupe. Its a stellar original car - with all of the little bumps and bruises along the way that make it look and feel authentic. Haven't heard the price yet but can get you in contact with him if interested.
    leaf green is superb!
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

I just listed my Tangerine 73 911 on The Mart. May or may not be what you're looking for.
    https://mart.pca.org/ads/52048
    Bobby Smith
    member #299
    1973 914/4 2.8 ltr. (FTD winner 2008 Charlotte Parade) (sold)
    1973 911 "Orangello"
    1973 914/6 GT 3.2 "Crystal Blue Persuasion" (sold)
    2011 Boxster Spyder
    1973 911 E "E GO" Metallic Green