Thread: Engine Oil Temp / case thermostat question / pressures

Engine Oil Temp / case thermostat question / pressures

Hey all - so I have this 71T with a 77 2.7. The engine was put in the car in '92, and looks like a long block swap and a bunch of the ancillaries too (based on the receipts I have) The 2.7 had the top end fully done and rings and a general non-case split refresh about 5k miles ago from a well known shop. Has weber carbs. It runs strong, is a little seepy but not bad. At some point the 2.7 will be 'proper built' but for now just enjoying the car.

Now, the car ran a little warm. Previous owner lived up in the mountains, I live on the SoCal Normal running temps were about 210, if I pushed it hard 230. The car when I got it did not have a front cooler. I also know the previous owner didn't drive the car hard or much.

So, first order of business after going through the car thoroughly, was to install an Elephant Carrera kit. Which did a fantastic job of lowering the temps down to 180 or so. But, it still seemed to creep up at constant speed more than I thought it should. The front thermostat opens right at about 180 or so.

Did some research, and, seems at some point, the case thermostat, is the old style for the 2.2 with the adjustment knob. I ordered a new one from Porsche for the 2.7 case and installed it. MAGIC. Temps now stay right at 180, if pushed hard or idle in warm weather, can go to about 190. The front cooler is working LESS than it was prior. Which means something, like the thermostat is now working 'right'. Good!

I'm using Valvoline vr1 non-synthetic 20w50 right now.

So on to my questions:
    1. Was this old thermostat just 'wrong'? or just "old and not working right" ? I notice the dimensions are slightly different, the old one is slightly shorter. Or was it just not opening soon enough? I think likely latter.

2. I normally keep my oil level a needle width or 2 the red line on the dash gauge which matches the dipstick near exactly, say 5 o'clock when at 180 temp. Car doesn't use abnormal amounts of oil. Last week I filled it to about 1/2 by mistake. Did a run, and, when coming to a stop after a min or so of idle, get a little smoke from exhaust. It did not do this before. Going to burn off some of that excess and see if it goes back to "normal". And, it only did this about 20% of time after a long run, come to stop and idle. But, car doesn't have issues with smoke out the filler neck, or burning oil, or blow by issues in the intake. I did a little research and seems these earlier pumps may be weak at scavenge as they age at low RPM, and allow oil accumulation in the sump that seeps to cylinders. I have NO idea if that is accurate, or possible cause. Will get a leak down done soon and see if we have a problem brewing! Car runs very strong and plugs look 'normal'. Any thoughts on this?

3. Oil pressures: Another fascinating find. The oil pressure sender (my car has S gauges with the 0-110 pressure gauge) was dated/stamped in 71, and was clearly on the car a very long time, but was stamped 0-5. Which is odd as I wonder what this would have been from, because 0-10 I thought was the normal pressure sender on these from the start to 77. I thought car was running 'higher' than expected on the dash gauge. I swapped in a proper 0-10 and yes, it was. Idle is now 1/2 way between 0 and first line. 3k is about 50, 5k is about 70-75 or so. This is at 180 or so oil temps. Which seems about in spec, maybe a little low on the top end? Not going to sweat it too much at this point, but seems I'm 'about in line'.

Appreciate the thoughts
    Thanks

#1 Yes , the old thermostat is wrong and may not have been working .
    #2 I have never heard of oil seeping in the cylinders after the car is running , only when running after the car has sat for a long time and oil has drained into the sump from the tank and seeped into the cylinders .
    #3 No comment .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    #1 Yes , the old thermostat is wrong and may not have been working .
    #2 I have never heard of oil seeping in the cylinders after the car is running , only when running after the car has sat for a long time and oil has drained into the sump from the tank and seeped into the cylinders .
    #3 No comment .
    ON #1, yeah, car is running nice and cool now with the Elephant carrera setup and the RIGHT case thermostat. Was hot yesterday, got stuck in traffic on PCH lots of idling and it didn't creep beyond about 190 (less than 1/2 way between 180-210). Finally feel car is running cool.

#2. likewise, although I did read several posts talking about "low scavenge pressure idles/low RPM" but who knows. I drove the car 150 miles yesterday and didn't see any smoking, car starts right up hot or cold, idles fine, great power. Will keep an eye on it, will do plugs before a long trip I have coming up and do a leak down then.

Thx.