Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving with fouled plugs

Driving with fouled plugs

Accidentally fouled a couple plugs on my 70 911S and it wont clear so taking to the shop. Is it safe to drive 5 miles slowly with fouled plugs or should I get a tow??
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

member #1515
    How did the plugs get fouled? Are you sure it's fouled plugs and not another problem?
    What plugs are you using?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Easier to pull the plugs and clean them rather than call for a tow, and a bunch cheaper.

Anyway, what David asks... what temp plugs are you running?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Same plugs have used for 20+ years. 2.7 MFI engine has been "built" some and has crankfire. If the plugs foul that is it. Happened a few times when first built as we got it dialed in. But never since. I had a new enrichment kit put on for cold starts instead of the old screw system I used for years where I had to open the lid and turn the screw on the pump out a few turns. Warm the car and then jump basck around back and tighten the screw. Now I can the same thing from the seat BUT it is new and I over-enriched it the first try. Fouled a couple plugs. But usually runs perfectly and has since build in 1993. Has dynoed at 220 HP at rear wheels on pump gas. I just dont like getting in there and messing with the plugs--I am not handy and not patient. It's worth the money to have a pro do that stuff. I'll stick with what I can do well. Learned that the expensive hard way many years ago.
    So drive slowly (30 mph or so) or tow??
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

how far is the tow?.....less stress
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Generally, the way to unfoul plugs (unheard of with unleaded fuels now) is to take it out on the road and really romp on it.

Romping on it will bake on the fouling , drive moderately and no lugging .

Lets rationalize this issue. Drive 5 miles to the shop or get a tow to the shop? Your car will not clear its plugs. You want to leave the care of your car to professionals because you wrote: "I just dont like getting in there and messing with the plugs--I am not handy and not patient."

Case closed. Call a flat bed and breathe easier knowing you won't hurt the car driving it five miles. You and I have both learned from our past mistakes, all of us have. Tow the car and give yourself peace of mind.

member #1515
    I can't remember the last time I had a fouled plug, let alone several at the same time. If indeed that is your problem, something else is wrong with your car.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I'm with RSTarga , fouled plugs with todays fuel ? I also can't remember the last time .