Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Looking great darren,those seats will do the car proud

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Factory flares, saw this thread, thought I’d throw in. G
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something to consider/confirm...I heard that the welds on the roll bar brackets should not be knocked down with a grinder for reasons of preserving the strength of the weld on this critical point. Opinions?
    ESR # 3177

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Factory flares, saw this thread, thought I’d throw in. G
    Glorious

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Very, very nice work, Darren. Thanks for the ride-along with your process. Good to see things done right.
    Thanks Jens

In the absence of any meaningful update I thought I'd share details of a few recent acquisitions.......not that Barry hasn't been busy of late and indeed he has sent me through a few, as always, wonderful reports on progress however the money shots are soon to follow so I'll save these for later

The reality with this project is that it's likely to come to a grinding halt in the near future and subject to the economy and business getting back to a (hopefully) degree of normality, but at least at that point I should have a facsimile perfect 3.0RS shell, protected in epoxy and ready for paint and assembly........having reached the point where I may have taken advantage of squirrelled funds, these will now have to be kept in reserve and the big ticket items will have to wait.........but at least I can seek out a few trinkets to keep me occupied....

....my quest to find out the ideal way to mount my Lollipops seats was under my nose all the time and, unsurprisingly, documented on page 49 of homologation document #3053 showing the seats fitted onto lightweight rails with Recaro sliders....so this is the way I will go......

....now in an ideal world all parts for this project would be original NOS but that's never going to be possible so I'll content myself with decent reproductions where needed....in this case it'll be later Recaro sliders which I'll modify to have one adjuster with an original Recaro knob to add authenticity and rails supplied by Karmann Konnection which, although not 100% accurate, are a solid reproduction at a good price and almost identical to originals ......

.....next purchase was ATE brake fluid reservoirs. I have these fitted to my orange car and I'd searched for another set for some time without success......I then reached out to friend who not only suggested where to look (I actually already had) but more importantly what term to search for and within 20 minutes my task was complete. Huge thanks Andy :thumbleft: .....

...I sometimes wonder if the small bottle with this pair is a touch smaller than the original but that doesn't always appear to be the case?.........For the past couple of years I've latched on to any RS reference source I've come across and have saved every 3.0RS photo I've found, I quite enjoy spending hours sifting through the photos and discovering details I'd previously missed........one thing is for for certain, and that is there are not two the same! :? ......all these cars have lived an active life, been modified, built and rebuilt and then some more.....not only that, the factory no doubt also used what parts they had available at the time so you can never say never!

Whilst many real 3.0RS's out there are clearly some way from their original factory specification I'll attempt to keep this build as close to 1974 as I can....

...of my recent buys probably my favourite are these period NOS Hella number plate lamps....

....these are certainly an item that differ from car to car.....you will see both chrome or black and whilst many cars have much later lamps fitted originally there seems to have been two types fitted, those you see above and a slightly taller type....

....I would have preferred black and might coat these that way for aesthetic reasons but still a great find even though they might not get fitted for quite some time!

Cheers,

Door Mirror....

One thing I would love to find is the drivers door although probably the wrong site to be looking for a right side example.....

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 05-23-2020 at 08:16 AM.