Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Nice build, I was just going through your posts and saw those licence plate lights. Where did you get them? They are BMW 2002 licence plate lights and have been NLA for about three years now Would love to get a set or 2 for the 2002 resto's that I do

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by stephers View Post
    .......saw those licence plate lights. Where did you get them? ......
    Thanks Rick,

I picked the plates lights up in a German auction so a one-off I'm afraid however I would prefer the longer type and may have a lead on a pair, if these become available I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Small step....

For me the sexiest element of any early 911 build is the heart of the car which this week I delivered to my engine builder.......

....thisl engine, largely disassembled over 30 years ago and supplied with an accompanying bin of parts, is a complete unknown to me and I'm tentatively hopeful that my good fortune continues and the core is sound and useable......being numbers matching I'd like to stick with this original engine as the aluminium block with six-bolt flywheel does lend itself perfectly to the build being a natural progression of the earlier 3.0 RS/RSR engines........the specification will very much be that of a 3.0RSR and visually, at least from the topside, will look just as it should ....

....before and after photos should be a sharp contrast .....

Fingers crossed for the strip down!

Cheers,

Shout out to Marek....

In other news it's good to have friends and I have to give a massive thank you to Marek Lappock (early911parts) who sent me this in the post this week .....

....when discussing flares and bumpers I mentioned that the front bumper I originally purchased lacked a bit of detail....

....the correct RS bumper is quite distinctive around the underside of the corners which turns outwards into a kind of winglet....

....my original bumper is great quality but lacks shape in this area....

....although perfect on the bumper Marek supplied, which I'm reliably informed is used by all the best German restorers....

...old....

....and new...

...the shape is also very distinctive from the rear of these bumpers and highlights how much sharper the new one is...

....with any of these race parts there is always going to be a fair degree of fettling to get them perfect and no doubt that'll be the same with this new bumper but easier from a good base....

....I guess these builds are very much about shapes and curves..........and nothing wrong with that imo .....

....a few weeks and we should have a finished shell ready for paint.

Cheers,

Looking great Darren!
    Like my project car, yours has the underside protection tar-like material removed (meticulously). What are you going to do with paint?
    I'm thinking of putting at least something in the wheel-arches to protect against stones, because I understand the Michelin TBs throw up quite a lot of 'm, damaging the paint & metal.
    It isn't as per original, but I do want to drive the car when it is finished without having to worry about damage. What's your view?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Thanks Patrick,

I've heard others have applied to a thin layer of coating to try hide the application although I'm going without underseal......I did the same on my orange car and you do hear the gravel, and naturally you lose some protection, but as wonderful as freshly restored cars look I think a little patina adds a certain charm .....

Cheers,

Hope you're doing OK Darren. What's happening with your project? Anything new?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Hope you're doing OK Darren. What's happening with your project? Anything new?
    Hi Patrick, good to hear from and all's well here thanks. Hope you've been equally fortunate.

The project stalled a little due to Covid lockdowns and a couple of planned visits from Barry to finish the shell were cancelled.......on the plus side the car was wrapped up and I took the it to him on Friday where he will be completing rear arches and bumpers, along with a list of minor items, over the next 2-3 weeks........you may remember his current workshop door is too narrow for a wide body and therefore it's gone back to his old workshop where he restored my 2.4E nearly 10 years ago.....

...it's a simple unit but Barry has done a lot of fantastic work and rebuilt a number of 911 shells here including the 2.2S known as 'Swampy' which received a lot of attention on this board...

....prior to going to Barry we fitted makeshift suspension and short rear arms to check alignment of wheels etc....

.....the 7R's we used don't fill out the arches in quite the same way 8's and 9's will but you get the idea and looked good....

.....really pleased with how the arches look....

...alas the trip left me with a dilemma and pondering the overall width of the front arches!

I've always been happy with the arches, the quality, look and fit are superb. Less so with the fibreglass bumpers which I feel are possibly a legacy of moulds made to work with turbo flares over the past 30 years and not quite correct, although these are fairly easy to correct and fit.....

....when fitting the front flares and armed with a few dimensions from original cars we trusted the metal and the outcome looks great....however since then I've had the opportunity to measure the overall width of a couple of original cars and wonder if we're not a touch too narrow?....

....having studied thousands of photos over the past two years I know the differences of all these cars vary and indeed some are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th build so hard to compare. Also those who have built them tell me aesthetics is the primary concern......I've searched for a good actual dimension reference source but unable to find one, if anyone can help in that respect I'd be grateful?

As we are the arches look good and Barry will see what he can to gain some extra width although that's not easy.....

......the decision will be to accept our outcome as being in line with tolerances of an original build or cut the bloody things off and go again!.....at this stage I do hope not!

Cheers,