Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Smugglers Box....

Have to say I'm missing my updates from the Metal Meister and frustrating to have the car so tantalisingly close to the shell being finished but still not done, the anticipation is killing me!.....however with the uncertainty of the current situation and no idea when I could collect the shell anyway, I agreed with Barry that he'd move on to a couple of other projects and put mine on the back burner.....soon though!

So currently, along with trying to source the odd part, I spend my project time looking at photos and studying detail.......one thing that wasn't obvious to me previously is the factory preparation of the smugglers box.....

....obvious I know but if ever proof was needed that Porsche expected these road-going 3.0RS variants to be used in competition and suitably modified.....look no further....

[

....and those that did....

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 06-13-2020 at 01:00 AM.

RHD Pedal Box....

Pleased to say that Barry got back to work on the RS this week....the car is currently on the spit with the last major job to complete before going back on the jig for flares and bumpers being the right side pedal box area.....

....basically the car is being modified for twin brake cylinders as with all RS/RSR's......

....being RHD this wasn't as straightforward as it seems.....with only 6 RHD cars produced nobody bothers to make a right side pedal box and therefore a left side item was acquired from Ben Coles with the knowledge that would have to be 'modified'....

....all Ben's parts are exact replica's copied from original items and if this car had a steering wheel on the left side it would have been a simple plug and play fitment.....

.....without exactly knowing how to make this work Barry made a jig using the original pedal box as template.....

....however when trying out the new pedal box in the correct position for the brake cylinders, the brake pedal itself was somewhat to the left......

....and if using the actual brake pedal as a reference guide there was no way the pedal box would ever line up with cylinder in the correct position! .....

....now whilst Barry is very capable of turning sheet metal into genius he wasn't so keen on adapting the pedal box, especially doing so blind and not knowing how the factory made this work correctly......after some discussion we decided that Barry would continue with the floor pan area only and we'd work out what could be done with the new pedal box at a later date.......in my quest to help I started to forward any reference photos I had that might assist Barry including this Maxted-Page photo of some #9092 parts during restoration....

....deciding to blow-up the pedal box base in the photo for detail, this looked exactly the same as the one I have....

....whilst doing the same with the brake pedal itself in the photo I had a little eureka moment that made my day! .....

.....whilst all LHD pedals show them to be nigh on straight and vertical above the pivot area, the right hand pedal clearly shows that the factory had the same issue as us and had fabricated a left pedal with a sharp right angle towards the base to bring the pedal into the correct position.....

.....now with a small mystery solved we'll being doing the same, safe with the knowledge that this was most certainly how it was done back at the factory in 74 ....

...happy days!

Cheers,

I should be so lucky.....lucky, lucky, lucky....

Another piece of good fortune came my way today when I collected a rare right side door mirror.......never available in the UK and only ever fitted to Australian 74-77 Carreras along with the 6 RHD drive 3.0RS cars, I feared it might be a part that would elude me for many years......pure chance led me to a local Porsche parts dealer when trying to help someone find a rare RS item....although the dealer has two of these NOS RS parts, these are being kept for his own projects however when I mentioned the door mirror he thought he might be able to help and sent me this photo the following day.....

.....and collected this morning at a very fair price ....

....the mirror will need to be stripped and coated black but it's the exact part I needed....if I hadn't been asked to help with the RS parts there's no way I would have attempted to find this locally....

....super lucky indeed and one I thought I'd struggle to find on the other side of the world let alone one that was being kept safe for me only 40 minutes from home!

Happy Days

Cheers,

You certainly have a good carma, but as you were helping someone, this is justified

It will look great in black.

Well done Darren. Curious is the mirror base interchangeable with the RHD durant drovers circular mirror ( leave aside where mounted) just simply would it bolt on in place without other work or not?

Thanks guys.......I'm not 100% sure Steve although don't think so, I've owned Durant mirrors but never fitted one. The swan neck of this mirror has a screw bolt the other side which can be used to adjust the angle of the neck so quite different, although the base is similar I strongly doubt it's interchanegable.

Cheers,

Should it not be upside down����

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Should it not be upside down����
    Lol....

.....maybe when I'm trying too hard!

Fantastic Darren......I think you have encountered (and will no doubt continue to) enough costly hurdles on your projects so such pieces of good fortune are fully deserved!
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Awesome you got one Darren!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"