Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Gun Blue....Black Anodising

I've recently acquired some black anodised door frames, handles and rear trim which have a lovely patina.....the door handles are great although the frames maybe a touch too light especially on one frame in particular.

I'm keen to retain a faded look and don't want to go down the route of fresh anodising.......has anyone tried Gun Blue on anodised frames?

It would appear you might be able to build up the colour without making it too dark?

I appreciate your feed back.

Cheers,

Finally!.....

The car went off to Barry 4 weeks ago with a list of 30-odd minor items needed to finish the shell.......plus of course the fitment of bumpers and rear flares....

....however before that we decided to cut off the front flares that had already been welded! .....

....since the front arches were fitted I've managed to measure a couple of original cars, including two which I believe have original bumpers and my shell was a touch narrow. Initially we were going to leave this as it wasn't enough that anyone would notice and the bumper needed fettling anyway however in the end we decided to give the front arches a tweak....

...all worked out perfectly and now exactly to spec.....

...bar a little fettling of the rear bumper which will include adding a small lower lip seen on originals, the shell is now ready for paint which will start imminently.....final finishing items have included...

....oil pipe holes and cooler brackets...

....tabs for the oil catch tank....

....and removal of holes and tidying the dash to make it 74 correct...

....coil bracket and other engine bay detail....

....flattening of the post-74 IB bump....

....so after 20 months and a lot of toing and froing, various obstacles and a worldwide pandemic I finally collected the finished shell yesterday....

....and what joy awaited when I finally got to Barry's old workshop....

....it would be fair to say this has not been one of Barry's favourite projects, it's dragged on and fought him on many occasions and my relentless wave of detail emails with hundreds of photographs have ground him down and mashed his brain.....the final list of 30-odd items were mostly straightforward although fitting the bumpers were a major, major pita!.....

....still he seemed pretty pleased with the outcome and so he should, his work has been amazing....

.....after a 350 mile round trip with detour into London included I finally got the shell into the workshop late yesterday evening and of course had to unwrap it and take a few more pics .....

....now looking pretty sharp....

...huge thanks as ever to Barry for putting up with me and for his incredible skill, effort and attention to detail. Without him this project would have horribly wrong long ago and he's worked tirelessly to achieve a stunning RS shell....I honestly don't think he could have done any better, the man is genius!

I've been quite anxious about the shape of the arches, especially after we started slicing off the fronts, and whilst all the RS's do vary I think Barry has pretty much nailed it!

With the shell now looking exactly like the six RHD cars that rolled out of the factory in 74 I couldn't be happier.

Now for some colour!

Cheers,

Looking really good mate,now what colour.

Agree Barry’s skills are the best ...looking good ....always liked the blue

Steve

Superb result that!
    Looking forward to the shell being covered with paint!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Looking really good mate,now what colour.
    .....thanks guys

I'm with Steve regarding color ....

Cheers,