Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Nice in blue... But the side decal might be out of correct position ... certainly incorrect position if it had been 73 RS ... maybe factory specified positioning changed for 74 but I’d be careful before using that particular image as a reference when you get to that detailed decal finishing point.

Steve

In that case the green one and the white one that has been at Dutton's in Melbourne for a few years are wrong too.
    They all seem to have a last bit of the last "a" past the door.

Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Thanks guys......not something I've researched deeply Steve and modern interpretation seems evenly split over whether the tail of the 'a' sits behind or just past the front edge of the door....

.....as ever, period photos are best although even these seem inconclusive and different....I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few of each! .....

Cheers,

I know the factory spec for 2.7 and that is not debated hence my comment but with facelift and flares maybe different for following year. I would not claim to know for 74 RS hopefully you’ve time to find out before you apply it as Barry’s fine work’s deserves the correct finishing details

Looking good.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    The car went off to Barry 4 weeks ago with a list of 30-odd minor items needed to finish the shell.......plus of course the fitment of bumpers and rear flares....

....however before that we decided to cut off the front flares that had already been welded! .....

....since the front arches were fitted I've managed to measure a couple of original cars, including two which I believe have original bumpers and my shell was a touch narrow. Initially we were going to leave this as it wasn't enough that anyone would notice and the bumper needed fettling anyway however in the end we decided to give the front arches a tweak....

...all worked out perfectly and now exactly to spec.....

Wow, I just stumbled on this incredible thread, the attention to detail here is most astonishing.

IĀ’m so glad as I scroll down to read that the bumper has been addressed. Initially the rear fender appear to have overly hard edge on the flange. I feared front fender had a return hook in side view and excessive taper in front view closer to that of a 2.8 RSR. Your bodyman can certainly work magic resolve it

IĀ’ve also notice subtle changes of the factory front bumpers even before all the repairs and replacements of the original parts I reckon. I believe the 3.0 RS body and bumpers were initially derived from the 73 Frankfurt turbo prototype showcar which differs from the production 930Ā’s

Then the bumper and the flares appear on the IROC with a central support in the intake opening. As they evolved on the 3.0rs, the radius became larger to match the opening better where as on the two Lowe corners were right angle hard edge wrapping under the intake. These got progressively softer and more uniform with the grill shape.

One would assume the larger radii would help releasing the part from the mold. This would reduce the repairs and maintenance of the forms on the serial production parts. Another explanation for the variance is that Porsche used different vendors for there fiberglass parts. At least this was true on the early 3.0 930 and Carreras early Whaletails.

A few years ago I posted comparisons pics with notation much like you have here to highlight the difference of the proto turbo-iroc-3.0RS for the less critical eyes on pelican. ItĀ’s always great to have unaltered fresh factory cars or period photos for reference. I still have make sense or documented the changes in the cool grill itself. Link to the post (Panzer)

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...questions.html

Massively impressed with the project!
    RSoul
    Last edited by raging soul; 03-15-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raging soul View Post
    Wow, I just stumbled on this incredible thread.....
    ....you must have been searching hard Raging Soul, pretty much a graveyard around here!

Thank you for the kind words and link to the Pelican thread, I think many of the points you raise here are most likely correct.

I'm lucky enough to have many reference photos of the Hesketh RS, #9099, from when it was restored by Autofarm a number of years ago. I've seen this wonderful car in the flesh and suspect the front bumper is still original.....

.....here are photos of the front grill.....

Cheers,

....here is a grill close up of another original car I was lucky enough to photograph....looks the same....

HTH

Cheers,

Because men never get tired of looking at curves....

....well that's my excuse!

...and before it gets stripped and painted a drab beige.......